Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying written permission to shoot on own land

Carrying written permission to shoot on own land

I am aware that when out shooting I should carry written permission to shoot on the land from the land owner. What if I am the land owner, do I have to write a letter for myself? Sounds like a daft question, but the land is not associated with my home (FAC) address, and I presume the police would not have immediate access to the necessary land registry database to confirm that I (or anyone else) is the owner (or holder of sporting rights).

In general, how can the police verify that the permission slip is written by the landowner, and that that owner has the sporting rights?

I don't think it is a legal requirement to carry written permission. Writing a letter to oneself would be daft!

I do carry my written authority when culling on one particular estate. Mainly because it forms part of the agreement but also because it is busy and open to the public and you can be challenged at any time. Other than that I don't carry anything apart from my certificate.

... if there was suspicion of poaching the landowner/agent would be contacted anyway.

I see this as the polar opposite of the thread on carrying your certificate.

There is no bit of paper that can verify you have permission. You could make your own, sign it yourself etc. If the police are in doubt they are rather daft to accept a random sheet of paper with a random signature. Compare that to an original FAC and that is a legal document.

So I never carry permission letters.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I never carry permission letters now, after a friend was stopped one night, after showing police his permission, they then went and woke the farmer up at 2 in the morning to verify his story, so I dont see a great deal of point, plus I have quite a few farms where the owners are friends and I have verbal permission, as I suspect many of us do.

If police took written notes as permission to shoot, no one would ever get caught poaching, I just wrote one that covers all FC land. I carry one that gives me as agent of the landowner to evict trespassers.

Simple answer to the OP, no, you don't need to write giving yourself permission to shoot.

In all of my 70 years, well not quite that many shooting, I have never had written permission to shoot. The authority to do so goes with the title deeds to the farm !

I agree it does sound daft, but that doesn't mean it isn't the law! So we don't need to carry written permission, can someone tell DMQ to correct their question bank, which claims that signed permission is "essential to carry" when stalking.

I carry them when out with the rifle, however I have none for the shotgun! On a few occasions on laid crops farmers has let me have a go that day...
    Glad you have brought this up as quite a lot of fields I shoot have no farm buildings/house attached to them as the owners have brought them up over time...
    There is one block spilt in 3 by 2 roads owned by the farmer who has 5 farms so they wrote on my letter the address of all 5.
    But 2 of the blocks are 2 miles from one farm house!!

Slightly tongue in cheek but you could always hand them a piece of paper with the landowners mobile number on there for verification, then smile and wink as you pull your ringing mobile out of your pocket...

In practice, if the police were to verify it that's how it would go down. Make sure you video it if that happens

Do you have an open ticket or if you're on a closed one then would you have already submitted that address for verification and the police should be wise that you're authorised for that land anyway?