"calling in for night shooting"

Tulloch

I know it is customary and I also thought legally you had to call in to the police when you are planning to shoot at night but I was told you the other day from a stalker that you didn't have to and that it was not a legal requirement, is this true?

I know police Scotland have changed their logging system and for the first time I was asked on Friday night to also "call in" when I was finished, but what was weird is that the increased number of questions they asked on Friday was very unusual.

:) Tulloch

Absolutely not!!! the more people call in when they intend to go shooting the more the police will take it for granted to a point where it becomes a requirement.
As i always say when this issue is raised, do you inform the police when you go for your newspaper in the morning?

Ian.

name
address
DOB:
contact number
white british, etc
veh reg make colour
where you are
from what time
until what time
what are you shooting
what rifle are you using
how many are there or are you a lone shooter

inside leg
neck size
name of your dog

have you got your certificate/permission with you..................sorry.

been like this down here for years..............sadly.

bob.

name
address
DOB:
contact number
white british, etc
veh reg make colour
where you are
from what time
until what time
what are you shooting
what rifle are you using
how many are there or are you a lone shooter

inside leg
neck size
name of your dog

have you got your certificate/permission with you..................sorry.

been like this down here for years..............sadly.

bob.
i got put through to Glasgow , it was the first time that has ever happened I usually get put through to Inverness and all they ever ask is

Where ?
When?
When til?
is it a rifle ?
Vehicle and reg?
mobile ?

But Friday I got through to Glasgow.

Name ?
Address?
telephone home and mobile?
Vehicle and reg?
Certificate number?
Calibre and make of rifle?
Where also neighbouring estates?
when and when til?
and remember to call us to tell us when you are left your site.
then when I got into signal I got a call back to confirm I gave them the right mobile number and apparently they phoned my wife to confirm my house number.

Never called in when going lamping and like Whitebeard has said,the more that do the closer it will come to being a requirement

i got put through to Glasgow , it was the first time that has ever happened I usually get put through to Inverness and all they ever ask is

Where ?
When?
When til?
is it a rifle ?
Vehicle and reg?
mobile ?

But Friday I got through to Glasgow.

Name ?
Address?
telephone home and mobile?
Vehicle and reg?
Certificate number?
Calibre and make of rifle?
Where also neighbouring estates?
when and when til?
and remember to call us to tell us when you are left your site.
then when I got into signal I got a call back to confirm I gave them the right mobile number and apparently they phoned my wife to confirm my house number.

that seems a bit ott even for scotland, was it pit street then ?

anyway, if you call in as much as i used to you get to know whos on the other end of the line, but whats a bit of a pain is, why can't they in this day and age of techno know how be able to pull your details up on screen cut and paste it into the log job done barring the location/time etc etc.

beats me hands down.

bob.

anyway, if you call in as much as i used to you get to know whos on the other end of the line, but whats a bit of a pain is, why can't they in this day and age of techno know how be able to pull your details up on screen cut and paste it into the log job done barring the location/time etc etc.

beats me hands down.

bob.

Usually if I get Inverness they know me as I said this is the first time I got Glasgow and the weirs thing is I know I wouldnt get checked on the farm I shoot myself because the local coppers all know me in fact one of them stays in my village and was the one that done my shotgun and FAC stuff.

I actually asked the lassy over the phone would it be better if I called back after shift change as she really couldnt get to grips of the name of the location and asked me to spell it 4 times lol

depends on the person you get when you call. Northern has a lot of newer folk in the control that ask everything....... the older ones only ask : name - reg/vehicle type - rifle size - where you plan to go - rough time youll be out until and mob number. My mate got a call from them last time we were out as someone complained about people being in a field with a rifle. he confirmed it was us.....thus no prob.

if we hadnt called in we would have probably have had armed response pay us a visit.

depends on the person you get when you call. Northern has a lot of newer folk in the control that ask everything....... the older ones only ask : name - reg/vehicle type - rifle size - where you plan to go - rough time youll be out until and mob number. My mate got a call from them last time we were out as someone complained about people being in a field with a rifle. he confirmed it was us.....thus no prob.

if we hadnt called in we would have probably have had armed response pay us a visit.

I am a bit lucky as I am a doorman in the town so you get to know everyone including the desk team :)

beats me hands down.

bob.

Why would you want to phone in in the first place, why do you think you need to tell the authorities when you go about a lawfull pursuit, fisherman dont tell the police when they are on the bank, cyclists dont call them when out for a ride.......:?:

Ian.

Someone has already asked if it was deer that was being shot.

If so, there are several conditions attached to the licence granted by SNH to do so and one of the conditions is that the police are notified.

I used to call in due to a phone happy resident but have stopped now due to a good freind who sits on BASC counsel telling me that there are over 100,000 gun owners inside the M25 and if they all decided to go out hunting on a Saturday night the police system couldn't handle it. So no nae never.

Last edited:
I used to phone in but only as one of my farmers insist police informed when lamping, so had no choice really. But a couple of years ago got a letter from plod asking not to phone in and gave an email address to use insted. Nice and easy
Time out
estimated time back
reg number
names of the farms (not spacific locations)
I do this as i go out the door and have the reply email on my phone so if im stopped all details are with me. Never been stopped or asked what we are up to in over 5 years though.

I don't do it on any of the land I shoot over and until it becomes a legal requirement won't do it!.
I am going about my lawful business and, believe me, a "man with a gun" report will get police visiting the area regardless of you having rung in to log your intentions

I don't do it on any of the land I shoot over and until it becomes a legal requirement won't do it!.
I am going about my lawful business and, believe me, a "man with a gun" report will get police visiting the area regardless of you having rung in to log your intentions

Hear! Hear! I totally agree; why do something which the Home Office Guidelines don't require and neither does your FAC/SGC? To do so will only allow over zealous individuals to put further restrictions on our field-sports for which we are already acknowledged as competent at by virtue of being licensed.

Someone has already asked if it was deer that was being shot.

If so, there are several conditions attached to the licence granted by SNH to do so and one of the conditions is that the police are notified.

Spot on :thumb:

No need to phone if you're foxing/rabbiting though.

No never done it, and the only time I would ever do it is if I was asked to shoot rabbits/foxes somewhere very close to human habitation, where you could be pretty sure some busy body would ring old bill if they saw a lamp, as others have said, I will hopefully be going night fishing for sea trout later in the year, I wont be calling the police to inform them of my activities, nor will I if I decide to go on a late night motorcycle ride in the summer, indeed I am pretty sure BASC advise against doing so in most circumstances.

Back