Wear hearing protection

Scots_stalker

I was at the hospital this morning for a hearing test. If i am not looking at you while you speak or theres back ground noise i struggle to hear you. Turns out ive hearing damage ( perforated right eardrum) , docs putting it down to using firearms for over 20 years without protection as my job doesnt involve any noise ,

so all you young whippersnappers who think it wont happen to them. Get some protection. ( guess what i will be buying at the fair ?? Lol

I was at the hospital this morning for a hearing test. If i am not looking at you while you speak or theres back ground noise i struggle to hear you. Turns out ive hearing damage ( perforated right eardrum) , docs putting it down to using firearms for over 20 years without protection as my job doesnt involve any noise ,

so all you young whippersnappers who think it wont happen to them. Get some protection. ( guess what i will be buying at the fair ?? Lol

Nothing to do with you hammering gripper rod , more likely , or listening to the wife nag nag nag

Got the same T shirt as you S_S, I now wear in ear protection and electronic muffs. It's uncomfy but I'd rather that than be totally deaf.

Al

Yep, I wear that same T shirt .... although caused by years of working in engineering without protection.

So if whatever your doing involves noise .... use protection. You cant your hearing back when its lost.

Same here, very bad in the left ear, with tinnitus as well. All the new / young people that I take out are strongly advised to wear hearing protection. It isn't consistent across the range of sound, I can still here a spoon on a plate or a pound coin hitting the floor.

Need to get some more T-shirts printed. I'm the same, caused by years of aircraft noise and shooting. I also have problems hearing speech when there's a lot of background and I have a hearing aid for the upper sound range.

So as above, get some hearing protection before the irrepairable damage begins.

you all say young whippersnappers but im only 33 and i suffer with hearing loss and tinatus both due to shooting without ear defenders if i now use a shotgun without any ear defenders i will suffer that evening with bad headaces and my tinatus becomes a lot louder it wont always wait until your older to affect you chaps

Had my hearing tested with occupational health nurse last week. Left ear has got poorer over the last few years. Nurse asked if I used firearms ! She used to do the same job in the army and said it's always the left ear that goes if your right handed when shooting, strange as I thought it would be the right, being closer.

Spent some time Sunday at a range for the first time and was very glad to have hearing defenders on.
A chap next to me was shooting a 7mm something or other and you felt the pressure wave even with protection on.

When I'm shooting I like to wear double ear protection, since having a constant ringing in the ears doesn't sound like much fun. For those that are thinking that moderators will save their hearing, I'd point out that Surefire supressors (well respected in the US) have had their full size supressor tested on 20" .223 (5.56mm) rifles...and came back at 133 DB. Far more than enough to cause hearing problems long term.

Spent some time Sunday at a range for the first time and was very glad to have hearing defenders on.
A chap next to me was shooting a 7mm something or other and you felt the pressure wave even with protection on.

it's always the left ear that goes if your right handed when shooting,

Odd that you should mention that, I noticed a few days back that my right ear doesn't seem as good as my left! (I'm a left handed shooter).

Cant agree more lost 80% of my high tones and around 60% across the board. Unless I have my hearing aids in I cant hear birds singing, animals moving. Don't hear the dogs running up to me.

Its a **** and I only have myself to blame. I am 48 this year and I could be totally deaf in a few years if I am not careful.

If you are now coming into the sport please protect your ears.

40% in my left and 20% in my right but to be fair that's down to working in steelworks every day for nearly 15 years more than firearms but the points still valid wear hearing protection!

Back