How Big is Your Brush....?

Toxster

I'm finding that witha bore guide there is no way a .30 cal bronze brush will go into my rifle. I've tried both Parker Hale and Bisley. It's a .308 Tikka btw. It won't even get through the bore guide. Do people typically go down a size?

Plastic brush is fine btw.

.30 cal brushes go fine in my howa .308 thru a possum hollow bore guide.
Did have problems when I tried to get the brush into my .308 thru the bore guide off my .243 though, lol.

I'm finding that witha bore guide there is no way a .30 cal bronze brush will go into my rifle. I've tried both Parker Hale and Bisley. It's a .308 Tikka btw. It won't even get through the bore guide. Do people typically go down a size?

That might be because the bore guide is designed to be a snuggish (technical term!:)) fit to the cleaning rod and so may well be much smaller than the bore. Try fitting the bore guide to the rod before you screw on the brush and then carefully insert them both into the back of the action. Works well for me!

The fixed centre of the plastic brush is a lot smaller with longer bristles which allows it to fit.

The only time I've been recommended to go down a size with bore brush we when I bought some WipeOut bore cleaner and Robert formerly at HPS recommended using a 22 brush as it allowed reversal of direction in the bore and so aided the foaming action without pushing it all out!

Hope this helps...

JohnE

I suggest you dont have the correct size bore guide.

Ian.

That might be because the bore guide is designed to be a snuggish (technical term!:)) fit to the cleaning rod and so may well be much smaller than the bore. Try fitting the bore guide to the rod before you screw on the brush and then carefully insert them both into the back of the action. Works well for me!

The fixed centre of the plastic brush is a lot smaller with longer bristles which allows it to fit.

The only time I've been recommended to go down a size with bore brush we when I bought some WipeOut bore cleaner and Robert formerly at HPS recommended using a 22 brush as it allowed reversal of direction in the bore and so aided the foaming action without pushing it all out!

Hope this helps...

JohnE

+1

Are you likely to be at Bisley any time soon? I'll happily have a look / let you try my brushes / cleaning rods etc. All my kit is in the Surrey armoury but could easily be brought out to you...

Cheers

JohnE

Back