Trust your dog...!

cookingfat

These pictures are the result of a call I had on Sunday night from a stalker who's client had lost a fallow doe, he has a very good stalking dog that normally stands him in good stead, but after following the trail for about 400 yards through a crop of rape and through a wood and it was getting dark he give me a ring.
I said it would be too much and not fair on the animal for me to turn up with just my 7 month old, but said I would bring along a friend who has a more experienced and proven dog.
We ...met at 11am this morning and went back to the shot site, sure enough his dog had tracked it up through the rape and through the wood, it then came back out into the rape some 200 along, then back down and into another wood where we tracked it to a wounded bed it then moved off as we where getting fresh blood now on the track, then nothing as the ground started to rise up hill, back to the last marked blood two or three times, the dog was going back on its track and at this point we started to look els were with no luck.
We checked the wood edge for sighs of blood or hair but nothing, so as we were going back to the last marked blood again we found the doe no more than 40-50 yards from the last mark and should have trusted the dog because he wanted to go back on the track, the stalked dispatched the doe and and found it hard to believe how far she had gone with that wound through both back legs.
The doe had tried to go up the hill but count not because of her wounds so she came back along the track and then went off in another direction for 20 yards or so.
Well done to the stalker for calling and ending suffering sooner than later, also got some more experience for my young one.
the track was about 1k in length.

The moral of this sorry it trust your dog...!!!

did my first overnight 12 hour trail with my pup in the rain this morning, so may give her a chance on the next call out, but always will have a more experienced dog as back up.

very well done to all involved , we all can make a mess of a shot and this is a text book way of putting it right , well done stalkers and dog handlers

great result for you and the dog CF. as you said trust the dog, i had a similar one a couple of weeks ago that dirt digger off this site shot ,
Paul

A warm and true Waidmannsheil to your dog and you for a successful tracking and ending suffering!
Thats what tracking is all about, a non selfish support given to stalkers who got into this situation...

Well done!

:tiphat:

A warm and true Waidmannsheil to your dog and you for a successful tracking and ending suffering!
Thats what tracking is all about, a non selfish support given to stalkers who got into this situation...

Well done!

:tiphat:

Spot on Michael.
Well done mannie,good recovery...

Fantastic so good to see brilliant work done by dogs other than posh hounds,well done .Wf1
WF1, you saying my dogs are not posh:eek: Breed doesn't come into it, it's 90% of what you do and how much you do with it.
the other 10% is down to the animals breeding.

thats is just my take on it and not law....!

cheers Tony

have to agree I have learned to always trust my dog even at times when I have been totaly convinced shes on the wrong trail she has 99% of the time proved me wrong

Another good track there Tony
having seen said dog in action
just goes to show .... How good a team they are
but full credit to the person that called you once he and his dog realised they needed help
no macho ******** at work there at all
well done all involved

Back