Thread: hunting with the 270

hunting with the 270

hi all

well iv been having a rather lucky streak as of late and that continued on yesterdays mooch..

it was a dry day here yesterday so finished work got my rifle and new bag (go into that in a bit) and made my way to the farm

i arrived at about 4 and as soon as i entered the field there where two roe standing there fully aware of me .
    they didn't stick around for more than ten seconds and where soon out of site..
    i moved onto the sport where i tend to sit its a big field that slopes down hill to a large rough path of ground with a handful of trees and lot of dry grasses and bramble....

i stayed in that spot for the next two hours it was nice i spotted a bull finch and im pretty sure a peregrine and then after some time finally my first glimpse of movement in the far side in the rough .

i grabbed my binos had a quick look and found two munty making there way across the corner i didn't manage a shot as i only seen them for a short time but as i was watching them pass i noticed the two roe from early where now in the field with me they had came over the gate to my left but as all this was happening a chap was walking the foot path on the canal side and very kindly sent the two muntjac racing out of cover right into the line of fire so i now had four deer in front of me all running my way... i honestly didn't know witch one to go for and as a result i didn't get a shot of at any of them lol .. it was very odd i did not know where the chap walking went so was unhappy firing that way and 3 of the 4 deer heading in that direction so it was just a big mess up....

i feared the worse as time was now cracking on and light was fading .....

i waited another 15 minuets and gave a few calls on the butterlo now im not a massive fan of these but i thought id give it a whirl....

5 minuets later i once again caught movement in the bottom end a quick look and mr munty had came back out probably looking for his lady friend... this time i was on him and waiting for my shot . he came out very slowly and begin to make his way up field. at this point a gave a shout knowing it was a good 2o0 yards i rested the cross hairs on his back to allow for the drop and let the 270 go to work.. i massive shot rang out (glad i have cotton wool in my ears) and mr munty was down and hit very hard

i made the walk down to him and he turned out to be a nice big old strong looking munty with quite odd antlers . they where big very think and one of the brown tines where joined to the rest of the antler never seen it before but it made a unique head and probably a bronze medal...

a couple with the flash on as i was loosing the light fast

now as i shoot alone it get a bit tricky getting deer back to the car so i thought a roe sack may help but looking at the prices i thought balls to that il make one lol

i got a ex army sea sack took it too a tailor and got him to fasten on some clips to hold the bag into a smaller bag like position and once i got a deer the lot would unclip and make a big sack to hold the lot that way i would make the journey back to the car more manageable

bag as a smaller rucksack

image hosting without account

unclip the three

photo hosting

both sides open out

image hosting no account

also the bottom this is now making it a big sack

free screen capture

this has all my bits it and the munty buck lob it on my back and away i was the total cost was 10 for the bag and 13 for the stitching and hay presto got a good strong deer bag...

image hosting no registration

sorry bit long winded but i thought it may help...

thanks all andy...

Great calibre, 270 is my personal favourite too.

Great trophy, that is certainly unique.

Great roe sack, well thought out.

Great write up.

Good on you. Not many have the patience to sit still and they miss out on a lot as a result (I'm not talking just about deer). .270 is a great round and I will soon be going back to it as my primary caliber.

I like the roe sack as well. I have done similar with a custom build.

Thats a decent Munty!
    Well done....
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

well done to you nice write up, atb doug,

You might have one already but I can't see it. A large ortlieb canoe bag makes a good liner for the sack. Or a cheaper version of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    You might have one already but I can't see it. A large ortlieb canoe bag makes a good liner for the sack. Or a cheaper version of them.

i get large polly bags from work tough as anything i put the deer in them first saves the bag getting messy inside.. thanks the for idea..

Nice Munty buck, worth getting measured I would say. Looks like it could make silver to me. Well done.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Nice Munty buck, worth getting measured I would say. Looks like it could make silver to me. Well done.
    hiya malk.. to be honest i have a feeling it may hit silver i will measure it later and see... shame i didn't make it to you this year i would have loved a cwd....