Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make the best of a bad job!

How to make the best of a bad job!

If you shoot enough deer, then occasionally it goes a bit wrong as it did for me tonight! Whilst it was a perfectly humane shot, it was slightly messy! I get paid to shoot in this particular wood for contract culling and I'm under pressure to reduce muntjac numbers, so basically any humane opportunity is taken, regardless of carcass damage. So here we have a slightly oblique chest shot which has ruptured the Rhumen on exit. Small deer - 25.06 with CBT 115 grain Ballistic Tip!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muntjac Gut 2.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	359.3 KB 
ID:	39792
    So, what would you do to get the best out of this? Obviously this cannot ever make its way into the food chain via a game dealer, but why waste it? It can still be used for personal consumption or dog food if nothing else. If you gralloch it, it will be very messy and will stink out your chiller and spoil very quickly.
    There is an alternative!
    Whilst it is still warm, hang it up. This can be best done in the field whilst very fresh and not stink out your larder!
    Plug both holes with kitchen roll.

Name:	Muntjac Gut 1.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	390.1 KB 
ID:	39793
    Skin deer as you would normally without opening the abdominal cavity.

Name:	Muntjac Gut 3.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	266.3 KB 
ID:	39794
    Remove shoulders, loin fillets and then haunches as best you can.
    You should find that you are able to recover almost all of the useable meat other than the internal tenderloin.

Name:	Muntjac Gut 5.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	288.3 KB 
ID:	39795
    This last photo shows the oblique angle of about 45 degrees, which even though I pulled it forward slightly, was not enough to avoid the rhumen! If the animal had been stood the other way around I may have got away with a liver shot though. Once the meat has been saved it is obviously wise to check as many lymph glands as you would normally to ensure that the carcass is fit to eat. As you can see though, very little waste and not much mess! The meat can be matured in the fridge if required as it would if still in the skin. Worth carrying some food safe poly bags and a roll of kitchen roll in your vehicle maybe?
    Waste not - want not!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Muntjac Gut 2.JPG  

Must say, I'm starting to like you

Very useful tip.

African way that I know is to always skin first (it has most value) then drop the guts off suspended gralloch. Meat is then taken off. Bad shot/Good shot the carcass is treated the same.

Seems like a good plan to me. And I carry all that kit in my truck as well.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Thanks for that.

I remember seeing a Japanese (I think) chap on a video in which the shot deer was placed in a sitting position, the skin opened along the midline of the spine and the fillets removed. The skin was further peeled forward toward the ground, allowing removal of haunches and shoulders.

It wasted the skin but kept the exposed meat off the ground and didn't open the abdomen. As you say, an inspection of nodes/pluck etc should follow if you use this technique, followed by responsible carcass disposal.

Good post. Even the guys on here that always shoot their deer perfectly might learn something !

I am sure they new it all already
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Good post. Even the guys on here that always shoot their deer perfectly might learn something !

Nice tip and most pertinent to us off-hander stalkers!

In respect of the assertion that “obviously this cannot ever make its way into the food chain via a game dealer” such demonstrable commitment to Best Practice is to be commended but is not, in my experience, the reality in terms of what a; - Game Dealers will accept and b; - that which certain stalkers will offer with an accompanying Hunter’s tag. This mindful that I was lead to believe that any indication that a hose delivering DCW had been deployed to washout a carcass automatically disqualified it from progressing any further into the food chain.

You are a credit to the industry MS.

Never heard that one before, good tip MS

Nice exit wound
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.