Steyr manlicher SM12

norma 308

As a fan of mannlichers :doh: I know not everyone is ,has anyone got or tried the new sm12 mannlicher yet ?
norma

No, I have not seen one. They are here in the US, just being ballyhooed. Having become accustomed to the roller safety of the SBS 96 on my .308, I like the way it locks the bolt handle down close into the wood, like the old rifles. It is quiet, too. But this looks very good for moving to Fire quickly.

I just received my Pro Hunter 7x64 with iron sights. Now, to find a wood stock so I can dress it up for special occasions.

Specifications
Steyr Mannlicher SM 12 - Rifles - Rifles - News - all4shooters.com

Last edited:
Good luck with finding a stock nothing here for the pro hunter of any note yet shame boyds don't do one it would sell like hot cakes here .i like the heym but would like to take a look at an sm12 to ad to my pro hunters .
norma

If I could find a stock, I could duplicate it, or any part of it, without damaging it. I may just have to build one from scratch within the next year, starting with the dimensions of the molded Pro Hunter stock. I just picked up a spare one for $80.00 US.

What calibers are you shooting in your Pro Hunters? I am hoping this 7x64 shoots like my .308 Win does, and with all sorts of ammunition.

6.5x55 and 308 both like Norma obviously and geco which half the price
my pal shoots a classic half stock in 7x64 and that loves Norma too
bang onto boyds for us will you they would have a good market here I'm sure at the prices they charge .
regards

Can you find Remington or Hornady ammunition for the 6.5x55, .308 Win and 7x64mm? I can tell you which ones work best in my rifles.

If you or your friend handload, I can swap load data. My Mauser 7x64 fullstock likes Norma 150-gr ammo, so I am trying to replicate that with 150-gr Sierra and Hornady 154-gr bullets.

Sorry southern we re not home loaders I found the mannlichers preferred the euro manufacturers ammo over the us stuff geco seems to be the way forward for the moment ,keep us informed of your stock progress .
regards
norma

Looking at the sales blurb on the link, the main thing I don't like is the dull phosphated steelwork - I still prefer the good ol' bright gloss blueing on a classical rifle like this - Purely isthetics.
I do like the idea of the decocking system. I hope it is a reliable one & not too complex for stripping / cleaning etc.

Ian

I have the phosphate finish on my other steyrs it is also protective ,my pal has the blued finish and I have seen the glare from it on occasions whilst summer buck stalking from a good way off !

Good luck with finding a stock nothing here for the pro hunter of any note yet shame boyds don't do one it would sell like hot cakes here .i like the heym but would like to take a look at an sm12 to ad to my pro hunters .
norma

I thought Joe West Riflestocks made a stock for the pro hunter.
I e mailed him the other day but got no reply, would like one for my pro hunter

I thought Joe West Riflestocks made a stock for the pro hunter.
I e mailed him the other day but got no reply, would like one for my pro hunter
They need an order for ten stocks to do a run ,like I said shame boyds don't pick up on it for $99 I'd buy two !
something will come along in the mean time my bendy stocks are handy for shooting round corners :D
norma

I have the phosphate finish on my other steyrs it is also protective ,my pal has the blued finish and I have seen the glare from it on occasions whilst summer buck stalking from a good way off !

Hee hee - I did say "purely isthetics" didn't I. Plus I've never felt that a normally blued barrel frightened the deer - unless it is waved about like a flag.
Also how many camo type finished items work by impressing potential buyers rather than their hunting targets.

Ian

Steyr Mannlicher had a wider range of SM12 models, including synthetics and some with quite nice walnut, on show at IWA, so they should be available this year.
P1080463.jpgP1080460.jpg

The matte finish on the Steyr SBS / Pro Hunter / SSG is not matte blued steel; it is Mannox, a finishing process more corrosion resistant than Parkerizing by far, not quite as impervious as the titanium oxide vapor deposition coating on the Remington 700 XCR.

I love polished blue, and the Steyr Classic certainly has it, with wood to match.

Back