Deer Stalking Short Documentary in Scotland

thebigrd

Hi All,

This is my first post in the forum. I am a film director who has recently put together this short film which I thought members of this forum might find interesting.

It is a 9 minute short documentary about deer stalking. The aim is to increase awareness among those who oppose stalking about how it works and why it is an important aspect of life in the UKs countryside. I went deer stalking for the first time 2 years ago and decided that it was a topic that was misunderstood by the vast majority of people whom I spoke to about it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions and am hoping to share the video as widely as possible both within the deer stalking community and beyond that. The film will be touring various short film festivals around the world.

It is, in parts quite graphic, so please be aware of this when watching.

[video=vimeo;86719402]https://vimeo.com/86719402[/video]

Apologies, my name is Ryan Dean and I am the MD of a production company called The Big RD. My contact details are on the Vimeo page or alternatively Google 'The Big RD'

Sounds interesting, is there a link to the video?

ignore that found it on Vimeo, fantastic film well done!
really think it captured the essence of stalking deer in that part of the country, would love to see a similar version on woodland stalking.

Time on the Hill on Vimeo

Last edited:
Very good video and very informative. The close up on the Gralloch or the removal of the head was not necessary , these should have been done, But at a distance in my opinion if you are to sell it to the public.

Very good. Pleased to see another informative video. People need to understand why it is done and this kind of thing helps.

Ryan, that was one of the best clips of stalking I have ever seen. The messy gralloch indicated a less than perfect shot, but overall it was an excellent film. Well done! :)

Thankyou all. I wanted the film to also reflect on people's eating habits and felt this was an opportunity to show the process of killing an animal and butchering it. I wanted people to consider that when they eat meat the animal was once alive and also to consider that this animal has lived an infinitely better life than 99% of most animals that are consumed by humans.

I appreciate the comment of filming from a distance but I wanted to show the whole process so people can understand. I don't think this film would ever work for terrestrial TV but for the film festival circuit this is ok.

That's 2 great videos in a matter of weeks on the forum mate nicely done. :thumb:

Couple of observations.

1. As has been said, I'm not sure Joe public need to see the messy gralloch and head removal close up but depends what you want to achieve with the film?
2. I'm sure the inside was spotless but I'm not sure how the public would react seeing the venison they are going to pay for end up inside a mucky metal container. Again depends what your ultimate end aim was with the film but if it's to promote venison as a sustainable food product you may have been better off showing the inside instead?

I'd like to see more though films like this though maybe of woodland stalking and on the different species,

Cheers

Stratts

good film
liked it
more films out there the better IMO

unfortunate that to many on here it will have looked like a gut shot with a .243!
am sure the best practice HSE boys will be along soon to pick apart the process aspect!

Exemplary, well done, I really enjoyed that.
Everything well explained, and the rationale given for what was happening.

I wished my `office` looked like that... If you only went stalking 2 years ago, then thank you for the effort put in on this film so soon in your stalking career... Very good.

All the best.

Neil.

Thankyou all. I wanted the film to also reflect on people's eating habits and felt this was an opportunity to show the process of killing an animal and butchering it. I wanted people to consider that when they eat meat the animal was once alive and also to consider that this animal has lived an infinitely better life than 99% of most animals that are consumed by humans.

I appreciate the comment of filming from a distance but I wanted to show the whole process so people can understand. I don't think this film would ever work for terrestrial TV but for the film festival circuit this is ok.

This is of course the real issue. If you could show your film next door to one depicting what goes on in a slaughter house, I suspect a few people would be converted.

Lung shot going in may have caught the rumen going out we have all done it no bother.
Excellent clip really enjoyed it, for me hide nothing show it how it is.
I would make a abattoir visits available to all secondary school pupils to eat meat animals have to die why hide it away ?

Thanks guys, was really important to me to get the support of the people who do this week in week out.

We are hoping to get in front of the big channels and talk about doing a longer version of this that examines the whole process in more detail and it would be great to have the support of members on here if that process were to go ahead.

Talking about abattoirs, this film is probably the best I have seen from a purely visual basis at showing the brutality of that process:

[video=vimeo;73234721]https://vimeo.com/73234721[/video]

Good video informative and honest people should show the facts
Before the shot placement is criticised how many have never had the same (except keyboard stalkers of course:stir:)

Back