roe with no front legs!!

shootingduckdog

Was out this morning and I came around the corner of the wood and saw 2 deer out on the field. One a normal young buck and the other really wierd. At first I thought hare (one for ELMER :popcorn:) but then realised it was far too big. Next I thought muntie, but surely not in Yorkshire. As my mind raced the 2 deer decided I might be trouble and started to run toward the wood.

At this point I realised it was a roe but its front legs, both of them, must have been at least a foot too short. I couldnt see if they were properly formed and didnt have the presence of mind to go and study the "slots".

It seemed quite heavy in the body and it certainly had a decent turn of speed. I've never seen the like of it IN ROE. Has anyone else?

(and yes I KNOW there are forever of fallow running around the countryside with missing legs)

and before we get in to the whole "its a hare FFS" territory I have shot 36 deer so far this year so I do know what Im looking at ;);) :rolleyes:

Think curiosity would get the better of me and id be out tonight with the binoculars
regards
Jimmy

I know what I`d be taking as well as the binos, it would be a priority to remove it , regardless off sex !!!!
That's if it`s your ground to shoot on

Bob

It is my intention to return until dealt with.

However its not a given that it "needs" shooting. 3 legged fallow do very well and although I shoot them by preference if seen in a group I have often wondered if I am actually prevfenting suffering.

It will be really interesting if I can get it shot to see what the state of play is

Hi
I rem same years ago on Longleat Estate.
Doe season, buttons on head, with 'tush' but front end lower - watched for ages and could not make a decision. It carried on feeding as normal.
Debriefed later by Headstalker, the late Edgar James, who clarified it was a doe with no front legs below knee. Seen about for sometime and nowt wrong otherwise - cant rem how now but skin had hardened over and managing just fine!
L

if it was me i would be watching for it again, its a nightmare when youve seen something but your just not sure? atb hope you sort it, doug,

It is my intention to return until dealt with.

However its not a given that it "needs" shooting. 3 legged fallow do very well and although I shoot them by preference if seen in a group I have often wondered if I am actually prevfenting suffering.

It will be really interesting if I can get it shot to see what the state of play is

Now I know that 1 and 1/2 on one side + 1 and 1/2 on the other side make 3 but, :smug: ....... 2 short front legs, and in your guesstimate by a foot on each side ???????? , maybe it is down to a mower incident, but, it`s just as likely to be a natural deformity

I`ve shot deer with three legs and nothing more than an accident was the evidence, but, to have 2 short front legs sets the alarm bells ringing, do you really want to risk the deformity ( if it is that ) being passed on into the gene pool?

View attachment 39938

You won`t know injury/deformity until after the bang !!!!!!

Bob

Last edited:
Back