Modular Rifles.

EMcC

Here is something I was thinking about the other day and came to the conclusion that If I could find a dealer with the bits I require could go ahead.
Here is the question.
I own a Steyr Luxus with more than one barrel, there must be several other makes, Mauser, Saur, Blaser etc, with the same system.
My barrels are 30-06 and .243 and it is only the barrels that are marked with a serial No and that is what is recorded on my FC.
What is to stop me, other than availability, from buying another stock, bolt and housing to enable me to have a rifle in 30-06 and another in .243 ?
Has anybody else thought about this, has anybody done it, or does anybody have the answer ?
Posted elsewhere so hoping for lots of answers.

Did just that with my Mauser.

Your FAC allows you to have two rifles, one in each calibre.

Wether you choose to have two normal rifles or a breakdown is up to you.

The stock and bolt are not classed as a rifle, only the barrels.

RFD and FLO have no problem with it.

Stan

That is the way I see it but I bet a pound to a penny the Sportsman won't see it that way or the price will be so steep it will be an impractical option.
I'm in no hurry but I'll see what they say next time I'm down that way.

What about trying the import route? If the components are not serial numbered it could make life easier (and a lot cheaper) to try and import from Germany or Austria.

An interesting one this, don't you require a variation (space) on your firearms certificate in order to buy pressure bearing parts?

Interesting because the bolt locks directly into the barrel on many of these rifles, the receiver just holds it all together. Therefore a bolt would need to be entered on to a certificate as would a spare barrel but a receiver wouldn't:confused: :confused:

Years ago I had a Sako Triace pistol and I am fairly sure that the frame was numbered as was each of the barrels or slides. All numbers were entered on to my certificate, two seperate barrel numbers and one frame number.
In the case of the Triace the frame was obviously pressure bearing.

Bought my stock online from Poland. Got my bolt from Rupert in the UK.

Both posted through the mail "insured".

Both were the cheapest option.

None of these "parts" are controlled.

A simple call to your FLO will confirm.

Stan

I agree the stock would not be controlled and may be obtained freely but the bolt could be seen as a controlled part.

Reference; Home Office - Law, Guidance to Police

13.69 Component parts of firearms are also
subject to certificate control,
and may be
authorised if a shooter needs replacement
or interchangeable parts. Spare cylinders for
muzzle-loading revolvers are not used in
national target shooting disciplines and should
not normally be authorised. It should be
noted, however, that some cased sets, both
antique and modern reproductions, will
contain a spare cylinder, or cylinders, and
these may be properly included on certificate
for both possession and use.

13.70 The term “component part” may be
held to include (i) the barrel, chamber,
cylinder, (ii) frame, body or receiver, (iii)
breech, block, bolt or other mechanism for
containing the charge at the rear of the
chamber (iv), any other part of the firearm
upon which the pressure caused by firing the
weapon impinges directly. Magazines, sights
and furniture are not considered component
parts. The 9th Report of the Firearms
Consultative Committee provides additional
information on this subject.

I know that there have been occasions in the past where people have attempted to import firearms illegally by having various parts posted to them assuming that it was legal to do so.
It is possible to buy many component parts abroad totally free of control and a rifle bolt may be one of those things, but as soon as it arrives in the U.K. it falls into the above legislation.

Presumably also if it is a component part it would be necessary to transport it to a dealer as if it were a firearm and can't simply be posted to the FAC holder :confused:

Well the Mauser importer felt no problem with posting the bolt direct to me.

Either way, you can add additional stocks/bolts as you see fit as it's the number of barrels that are authorised.

Stan

The importer could be wrong or simply unaware of the legislation. Stocks are no problem whatsoever.
It might be a good idea to check with the force that issued your certificate as you don't want to fall foul of them.

As allways different forces interpret the legislation as they see it. If you are a member of a shooting organisation such as BASC give them a call just to be on the safe side.

blaser stocks, bolts and barrels are all controlled by TVP. i've just had a ticking of for buying a stock and bolt but no barrell on the slot for a .223 rifle.

all sorted now.

my advice, check with your firearms dept and send application and covering letter describing the transaction you want to carry out.

milner guns and mcleods both advised me similar - they wont sell stocks or bolts without slots. if you buty a complete rifle its only the barrell number that goes on your ticket.

With regard to TVP and you say stocks on the Blaser, I assume that you include the receiver in that definition, surely you don't mean simply the woodwork or synthetic "handle" ?

Once again it comes down to "load bearing component", and you could argue that as the frame on some rifles only gather the load bearing components together and are not subjected to any load. That is the bolt locks directly into the barrel assembly. Irrespective of this technicality you will have to go along with the decision of the force that issued your certificate unless you want to get into a long and costly arguement.

Obviously the law hasn't kept pace with technical developments and people are trying to bend it to fit. Like you say it's best to contact your force and ask them how they would like to deal with it.

If you have slots on your FAC for three calibres you can buy three rifles.

You could buy a Blaser with three barrels or three Blaser's with one barrel each.

You could later choose to go for a like for like and get rid of one of the Blaser barrels and get a Sako. You still only have three rifles.

You could get rid of Blaser with one barrel and keep only the two remaining barrels.

You then have two "rifles", just not much use.

Stan

smullery said:
You could later choose to go for a like for like and get rid of one of the Blaser barrels and get a Sako. You still only have three rifles.

a like for like cannot be used when chaging a spare barrell for a full rifle, they will charge you £26 for a variation as you are increasing the number of rifles held.

my certificate now lists

held.
.243 blaser rifle
.308 blaser rifle

to obtain
.223 spare barrell
.223 bolt head

I started with three slots. 2 of 6.5 x 55 and 1 of 9.3 x 62.

I got a Sako 85 in 6.5 x 55 and later a Mauser MO3 in 9.3 x 62.

FAC reprinted shows SAKO Ser. no and calibre. MAUSER Ser. no and calibre. I later added a 6.5 x 55 barrel and the reprint shows another MAUSER Ser. no and calibre. No mention of model.

RFD sells SAUER as well and discussed how Lincs wanted it handled with FLO.

1 slot = 1 firearm wether you choose to go conventional or multi barrel.

Mate in West Yorkshire has a Mauser with two barrels, two stocks (Extreme synthetic for the hill plus top grade engraved walnut stock for Africa) but only one bolt. His FAC makes no mention of barrel either.

Stan

Back