243 Recipe for 70gr wanted

Roebuck243

Hi I've got some 70gr V-Max to try and reload give em a try on a few bucks this time if anyone has a good recipe starter .
Rifle is Tikka T3 Lite ,I have some H4895 powder so save me hopefully buying some more.

V stands for vermin :stir: a bullet with a very thin jacket and designed to achieve shallow wounding. For the sake of £20 why not buy a box of bullets designed to kill deer rather than prairie dogs?

Nothing listed for 70gr in Hornady 9th Edition.

However: 75grn Vmax 31.4grn start 36.9gnr max using H4895 COL 2.640

Cheers for that chocky ill start somewhere near that .

sorry they are 75gr vmax

Shallow wounding don't make me laugh !!!
58gr Too !!!
Hundreds upon hundreds of Roe with these and they are superb.
Coming to end of supply and have box of 75gr to try otherwise I wouldn't budge on the 58's.

Last edited:
Have double checked and April 1st is tomorrow. So, having ruled out that you are joking, I can only assume you really are a misguided chap who thinks the V in V-max stands for venison rather than vermin.

I've used 40gn h4895 with 70gn bullets in 5 different .243's. start lower and work up, especially if your using 75gn bullets.

Very ethical killers on smaller deer, although a little damaging at times, but you have to damage them to kill them.

As per usual. Armchair stalkers spouting gospel! Shallow wounding! Written by a man who's never used them as is often the case.

V-max on chest shot roe out to 200yds= bullet hole entry,50p exit and all the pluck turned to soup. Roe deer drops on the spot. Out of the last 20 i've chest shot one ran 20yds and that's it.

Super dooper bonded deer killer bullets punch straight through,deer runs but leaves a lovely blood trail to follow! I know which I prefer! People can slag me off but crack on. I know what works by being there and doing it. I don't rise to name calling etc...

PH

If you can find any, Varget powder has always given me the best accuracy/velocity behind the 70 grain bullets in .243.

Exactly !!
I must have taken 250 Roe in last 5 years for instance with Vmax and they do one hell of a job that's all I will be usuing for near future . Most buckle and drop on spot I've had a few run but stop and drop after 30yds never have I blamed the wrong bullet on closer inspection the entry and exit are minimal but with massive destruction inside . I can't see what problem is .
They are super accurate taking head neck shots every confidence in this bullet .
Have you ever tested them? People think they explode touching piece of grass and don't do damage I'm not sure about that one .
Anyway.

Last edited:
Great reply!

As per usual. Armchair stalkers spouting gospel! Shallow wounding! Written by a man who's never used them as is often the case.

V-max on chest shot roe out to 200yds= bullet hole entry,50p exit and all the pluck turned to soup. Roe deer drops on the spot. Out of the last 20 i've chest shot one ran 20yds and that's it.

Super dooper bonded deer killer bullets punch straight through,deer runs but leaves a lovely blood trail to follow! I know which I prefer! People can slag me off but crack on. I know what works by being there and doing it. I don't rise to name calling etc...

PH

Use what you want to shoot deer with so long as it is legal, ethical and your game dealer finds carcass acceptable. Having used v-max and Nosler ballistic tips (varmint) extensively in .22-250 and .243 for the purpose for which they were intended, shooting vermin, I am surprised that you are getting consistent exits on deer as that has not been my experience on foxes. Hornady describe the design and function of v-max on their website. They have a very thin jacket wall and are designed to expand in a very rapid explosive manner. Would I want to rely upon one to punch through a shoulder blade? No, but you carry on as you clearly like them, have faith in them and have based this on a lot of experience.

I used the norma 75 grns in 243 and i shot 9 deer(munties and roe) killed all but one on the spot one muntie ran 30 yards and drop in a bush thankfully it was the only one that had a exit hole so i manage to find it .All had a masive amount of meet damage. As i sell what i shoot i started to load my own with the help from a very experiencd friend and came up with a 100grn serria pro hunters sp 33grains of imr4895 20tho off the lans grouped 1cm ragged hole ,i try them on a roe doe last night 140 yrds low heart shot, good exit, blood everywhere, dead deer, dog found it straight away:D ,so i am more the happy with these results .my advice would be go a bit heavier on the bullet especially on the roe buck as you no they will run with a well placed heart shot and with the cover on the up you need those exit holes for finding them. After using the 75 grn normas i cant see why pepole want to use 75 grain bt bullets on deer ,what are the benifits ? i cant see them as most stalkers i know (and thats a few) shoot within 200yrds and most are actully shot well within a 100 yrds. The bullet drop between the 2 bullets is not worth worring about at that distance ,some will say that the 75 will be flater at 200yrd yes it will BUTby a inch maybe but it wont have the energy of the 100 grn when it gets to its target,not that anyone would shoot a deer at 200yrds with 75grn ballistic tip would they:coat:

Thanks for replies ,I did ask originally for a recipe for 75gr V-max for 243 with H4895 to try , and not a lesson on what I should and shouldn't use , but thanks for suggestions and to people who replied on the original subject.
End of.

Back