Prices and quality of Rusian rifles at Kelso Fair

I didn't look at any Russian ones (At least I didn't recognize any as Ruskys) - I did however take a very quick look at the straight pull (Lynx I think) offerings on the Alan Rhone stand & was very disappointed in the finish. One thing that really spoiled them was the safety catch - unfinished & had sharp burrs all round - enough to catch on clothing & rip/abrade it. Also there are lots of square corners on the metalwork (bolt lever in particular). These give the rifle a "modern" "UN-tacticool" look & to me the whole range of these rifles just looked unfinished & tatty! - So much so that I walked away without really examining them as closely as I would normally do. - I certainly wouldn't buy one!
This spoiled what may be a good rifle design concept. Pity.

Ian

I didn't look at any Russian ones (At least I didn't recognize any as Ruskys) - I did however take a very quick look at the straight pull (Lynx I think) offerings on the Alan Rhone stand & was very disappointed in the finish. One thing that really spoiled them was the safety catch - unfinished & had sharp burrs all round - enough to catch on clothing & rip/abrade it. Also there are lots of square corners on the metalwork (bolt lever in particular). These give the rifle a "modern" "UN-tacticool" look & to me the whole range of these rifles just looked unfinished & tatty! - So much so that I walked away without really examining them as closely as I would normally do. - I certainly wouldn't buy one!
This spoiled what may be a good rifle design concept. Pity.

Ian

Yep, can’t help feeling a wee clean up of all these marks with wirewool wouldn’t have done any harm:

lynx_straight_pull_bolt_action_4_zps00782cb4.jpg

Cheers

K

Yep, can’t help feeling a wee clean up of all these marks with wirewool wouldn’t have done any harm:

lynx_straight_pull_bolt_action_4_zps00782cb4.jpg

Cheers

K

Very pretty. BUT Don't believe all that you see in the glossy brochures. The rifles that I handled on the stand didn't look owt like your piccy. If they had been finished by a master gunsmith they wouldn't be as I saw. Or their definition of "master" is different from mine.
As I said I saw poorly finished rifles - was disappointed & walked away without looking at the complete range on display. --- They were that good!

Ian

My head really liked the Lynx, the action is really simple and seemed smooth and fast, but it did look somehow “plain”, utilitarian.

The Helix pulled on my heart strings, I like the way it looks but the action seems more complex.

ATB

Tahr

My head really liked the Lynx, the action is really simple and seemed smooth and fast, but it did look somehow “plain”, utilitarian.

The Helix pulled on my heart strings, I like the way it looks but the action seems more complex.

ATB

Tahr[

Merkel RX ,, Can say first hand, that its very very well made , not yet had time to sort mine out ,, if there,s anything not 100% will be posting on SD ,,,, CONS ,, cost!!! ,,had it six weeks and the wife,s not stoped reminding me about that, ,, more to follow ,, handling ,, useability and shot groups

Last edited:
Very pretty. BUT Don't believe all that you see in the glossy brochures. The rifles that I handled on the stand didn't look owt like your piccy. If they had been finished by a master gunsmith they wouldn't be as I saw. Or their definition of "master" is different from mine.
As I said I saw poorly finished rifles - was disappointed & walked away without looking at the complete range on display. --- They were that good!

Ian

Don't doubt you and its very disappointing to think the dealer wasn't similarly concerned.

I've seen one in the flesh and liked it but wish they would offer a sporterised version of thumbhole.

K

To be honest, I tend to buy (build) a rifle for accuracy, functionality and reliability not looks....... Ever

Even my Jewell triggers have a poorly finished safety catch on them. I never even notice though when shooting the rifle they are fitted to.

I have never had an interest in straight pull rifles but actually thought the mechanism on the Lynx was straightforward and functional. A steel bolt being thrown through the action must be pretty strong and its a fast recycling system.

Mind, I'm no engineer....

I see no reason why we may not have it all. Especially when one is paying top $ and given of a certain imagination/sensibility!

I'm henceforth going to call it the 3 F's:

Form. Function. Finnish.

K

I see no reason why we may not have it all. Especially when one is paying top $ and given of a certain imagination/sensibility!

I'm henceforth going to call it the 3 F's:

Form. Function. Finnish.

K

Fair point. My order would however be: function, form, finish.... ;)

I was listening to the sound of farm gates being slammed,........ ooops!, no some guy was working those straight pull thingies!:eek:

couldn't agree more
I played with the merkel and aside from the clever disassembly I didn't like it
Was also very disappointed in the MO3 Mausers on show

look well made but the bolt cycle was horrible, not sloppy like most people complain about mausers, but stiff, jerky and catchy.

Nothing wrong with russian rifles, they my look agricultural but they're robust accurate and will work despite abuse and misuse.

Back