Not stalking related...

I was through the mach' loop a few times a couple of weeks back. I was playing with those guys in the F-15E's from lakenheath on Friday. Not as much fun as it looks.. Honest!! :lol:

Looked at the awesome photo caption and thought " yer whatever " but blimey that is a photo. Thanks for posting

Now I know those guys fly pretty low to the ground for obvious practicing reasons, but THAT close, and banked over like that? I wondered if there was a bit of photoshopping going on here, but if there is, it's pretty darn good. Even down to the plane exhaust gases. So I'm not convinced it's a fake. Why is the jet pretty much in focus and the surrounding picture not? I think because the camera is moving with the plane, the camera is focussed on the plane and there's a pretty good bit of zooming going on (by the camera) which can make all things that you aren't focussed on more fuzzy.

I can only imagine that the amount of zoom also plays a bit with the composition, in that wing tip just simply can't be a foot or three from the ground. What makes me think that is the size of the other photographer in the picture compared with the size of the plane's crew.

The only other thing that perhaps worries me a little is the upper wing of the plane appears to have some wispy clouds in front of it.

So, in all, I'm not convinced it's real, nor am I convinced it's not. It could still be a picture taken of an upside down fly past at an air show cut then superimposed on the fell scene.

It's still a helluva picture though.

Now I know those guys fly pretty low to the ground for obvious practicing reasons, but THAT close, and banked over like that? I wondered if there was a bit of photoshopping going on here, but if there is, it's pretty darn good. Even down to the plane exhaust gases. So I'm not convinced it's a fake. Why is the jet pretty much in focus and the surrounding picture not? I think because the camera is moving with the plane, the camera is focussed on the plane and there's a pretty good bit of zooming going on (by the camera) which can make all things that you aren't focussed on more fuzzy.

I can only imagine that the amount of zoom also plays a bit with the composition, in that wing tip just simply can't be a foot or three from the ground. What makes me think that is the size of the other photographer in the picture compared with the size of the plane's crew.

The only other thing that perhaps worries me a little is the upper wing of the plane appears to have some wispy clouds in front of it.

So, in all, I'm not convinced it's real, nor am I convinced it's not. It could still be a picture taken of an upside down fly past at an air show cut then superimposed on the fell scene.

It's still a helluva picture though.

I take it you're not familiar with the little set up in North Wales? Looks fun...

Cad Pass in Wales
?

Sat on a hill in mid Wales hunting, when two fighters on a training mission on sennybridge ranges came from opposite sides of the hill and passed within 20-30ft of each other on full tilt, awesome we all stood there mouths open, on another occasion we were hunting on scafell, when the whip shouts on the radio, there's a plane, we asked him where, he replied below us.

I would think that the only problem with flying those things is that you would never, ever, find anything else that could match it.

Re the noise.. I think I could just hear a Welsh voice shouting... "stop scaring my fecking sheep" :)

Last edited:
I was stalking in Gairloch many years ago and will always remember the two planes that flew BELOW me while stalking. Thought i would be cheeky and wave, was even more surprised when the guys in the second plane waved back to me. made my day that!!

Stalking in Sutherland we often see fast jets. Sometimes they come up the valley when we're fishing (a bit like in Top Gun, I've dropped the fishing rod once or twice when they've arrived unannounced) and other times we are up on the tops and they are playing tag in the valley beneath us.

Just fantastic.

willie_gunn

Back