Yukon photon yey or ney....?

deerstalker.308

Ok, so they've been about a little while now, looking for a bit of advice on entry level night vision and was wondering if the cracks had started to form in people's opinions of the photon?

i don't want to spend much more than that sort of money, so the market is pretty limited, but I'm not talking about it having a demanding job to do, but I have been asked to make a dent in the foxes on some land I look after the deer on, and due to various other factors, lamping isn't particularly suitable so I thought I'd investigate the NV options.
also intrigued by the NS 200 as an alternative but they come with mixed opinions.....
ideally looking for whatever I get to either be used on QD mounts on my .308 so I can still use my S&B for stalking (how does the photon cope with recoil, I know they advertise it as being ok up to .308 but are they really up to it?) either that or I'll stick it on my .22 and be done with it, but be limited to suitable shots.

appreciate your input please!

Last edited:
I would suggest you look through one. I love mine, its got a doubler and IR filter fitted and on my 17 Rem its perfect for knocking fox and rabbits over out to 200yrds. I'm hoping to stick it on the 7-08 for some boar over in france later in the year (it wears qd rings and comes off during daytime shooting)However a few people dont like the brightness of the image and the slight lack of clarity of the display (it doesnt have that many lines of pixels) which is why you really need to judge for yourself.Personally I dislike the ns200 nv style and cant get on with it so for the money the photon wins.

Thanks for that, ok, so, as an add on, does anyone in the Norfolk Suffolk Cambridgeshire area have one they'd mind letting me look through?

As an entry level night vision unit the Photon is hard to fault. At this time of year it's ideal for going out an hour or so before dark and just carrying on for as long as you want. A very useful piece of kit.

It might be worth hanging on for a week or two until the starlight arrow is released and see what peoples' thoughts are on them. I think that the entry level arrow is on a par with the photon price and performance wise. As a rear fitted add on unit it would be very easy to swap between rifles.

I have one on a Steyr scout in .308 and have found it okay.

I have shot foxes out to about 150 yards now, my thoughts are the unit costs about £400.00, if you then add the various bits, doubler £85.00ish, adapter £48.00 ish, better IR T20 £50 + adjustable IR clamp £23.00, maybe new rings (due to doubler) £.... You may be better looking for S/H N550.

Having said that, my Photon works well enough and stands the recoil with no problem

i have one,with doubler and t-20 and personally think for the price,photon £400,doubler £78,adapter £45 and t-20 £47,you cant go wrong,you will need high mounts for it,but the thing with the photon is your in your natural position,your head position is the same,your not leaning back looking at a screen,or lifting your head up stretching to look through a 550 or 750,which are a bit higher than the photon

as said for the money its a no brainer

I have mine on a 17 Rem and it works well. Pretty much point and shoot as if you can see it and identify it then it will be in range. They are not good as a spotter though. I have paired mine with a Flir and they complement each other well.

I've got one you can have a look through.its just standard but I do have a nm800 on my pulsar which we could swap.

I have mine on a 17 Rem and it works well. Pretty much point and shoot as if you can see it and identify it then it will be in range. They are not good as a spotter though. I have paired mine with a Flir and they complement each other well.
just googled Flir to see what you meant.... Out of my league financially and for the job needed, I was thinking of using a lamp very minimally to spot eyes then go to the scope after that...?

Good evening,
I was looking around for a NV unit for quite a while, and I was wanting a 750 then I had a look at a Photon and pleased I did. I put a NM800 IR on it and spot on for knocking those foxes over up to 180-200yds. As people have said to get the 750 you are basically doubling your price so saving a nice wee sum and with the cash you have free you could get a good spotter.
Ok if you wanting to shoot a lot further than 200yds but 200yds in pitch black is still a good distance and you will get plenty of foxes up to that distance.

sadly im miles away but found mine to be a great tool,

its now on another forum for sale and its nothing to do with the scope or its performance.

i love it, but i need the funds for another project.

have a look and enjoy it, i used mine out to 200 with ease.

regards

bob.

I have a photon on a 223 and an ns200 which goes onto everything else from air rifle to 243, works a treat but the photon takes seconds to set up and theres no battery pack to carry or strap to the stock. incidentally has anyone else had a faulty photon?, the crosshairs on my first one detached moving position from + to x. Thomas Jacks replaced with a new scope in less than a week.

Its a ney from me. The ns 200 would be me choice (and is!) as an entry level NV.

Try both if you get the chance and see which you prefer.

White van man seems to have offered you the chance to look at his photon and you are welcome to come and try my NS 200

i must say this about the ns200.

if i wanted to watch a black and white telly, i would have stayed at home and not gone shooting :(

defo not my cup o tea.

bob.

Cheers white van man, I'm near newmarket, but I've been offered a look at one just up the road so I'll do that, but thanks for the offer.

Im lucky enough to have both the n750 and the yukon photon which I am useing on my 17 rimmy at the moment really impressed by it so much so thinking about takeing the n750 of the .223 and useing the photon instead anyone want to buy an n750 !!!

This is very reassuring as mine arrived yesterday morning:D . I had the package with their own T20 and I think a set of mounts will take it up to the £500 mark which seems pretty reasonable.

Anyone wishing to try a Photon before they commit, bear in mind we offer a 7 Day Demo service where you can try one of our demo models (they may be a little scuffed as well used but work fine) without committing to buying one.

Conditions apply.

On a personal basis, I have a Photon, and twinned with a Nightmaster NM400 its brilliant for what it does.

Don't expect it to provide a clear image at over 150m like an N750A or an Archer etc, it won't, but from 80-120m its just the job for a .17hmr

Regards

Paul

Back