MacMillan stock fitting problem.

Monkey Spanker

I've recently bought a Macmillan stock for my sako 75 IV in 30.06 calibre. The action drops neatly into the stock with everthing lining up and looking like it was meant to be. The barrel did touch everso slightly at the front end which took a bare minimum of dressing out. The problem is, the screws which came out of the original walnut stock appear to be too short! :confused: The one behind the trigger guard is tight after just three complete turns, and the one forward of the trigger is tight after just one and a half turns! :eek: There is clearly not enough thread engaged here for it to be safe. Has anyone had a similar problem before? Can I get longer screws from anywhere?
Any ideas welcomed. Cheers, MS. :(

Monkey Spanker said:
I've recently bought a Macmillan stock for my sako 75 IV in 30.06 calibre. The action drops neatly into the stock with everthing lining up and looking like it was meant to be. The barrel did touch everso slightly at the front end which took a bare minimum of dressing out. The problem is, the screws which came out of the original walnut stock appear to be too short! :confused: The one behind the trigger guard is tight after just three complete turns, and the one forward of the trigger is tight after just one and a half turns! :eek: There is clearly not enough thread engaged here for it to be safe. Has anyone had a similar problem before? Can I get longer screws from anywhere?
Any ideas welcomed. Cheers, MS. :(

IF your screws are too short you have a fit problem. The distance between the floorplate and the reciever shouldn't change at all unless the magazine/floorplate assembly, or the reciever. is not inletted deep enough. That distance should remain constant.~Muir

Check if M6 screws fit, they would be easy to find in longer.
If you have the drop plate non mag version it might be good to go with longer screws because that setup is more tolerable.

If not, then the problems start.
Inlett the bottom metal to the correct depth, which will mean especially the
front will be sitting way to deep and the stock might need ajdusting in its height. This can be awkward because the strong fiberglas layer will be removed.
Or inlett deeper from the top, also awkward. but dooable.
A good gunsmith should be able to help.

Mc millans have base outside geometrie moulds for their stocks and just inlett for whatever rifle. Since almost all rifle manufacturers have a different stock height in the action area...it leads to some problems.

edi

Back