Nikon scopes in 4-16x

Southern

I see Nikon binoculars and riflescopes are popular here. I am shopping for a more powerful scope for testing loads, especially at 300 to 600 yards, so I would need something I can mount on a lot of my rings and bases. I could go 30mm tube, but a 1 inch would be better for that. And I want to not have it be terribly large ( small enough for hunting), so I was looking at things like the Burris 4.5-14x42 PA, the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 M308, or even as large as the Nikon 4-16x50mm ( I like the finer reticle ).

Just wondering about opinions of users of these higher-powered Nikons, and those who tried them but bought something else.

No users of this 4-16x?
Since a lot of you use the .308 Win and like scopes with field turrets and bullet trajectory knobs at 100/200/300, etc... do any of you use the Nikon M-308?

good luck with that.
I just spent an hour or two looking at various scopes
requirement is:
not too big and heavy, under 500 grm
less than 50mm objective
parralax adj
german g4 ill ret or similar
small turrets with zero stop
vari mag up to 10 or 12x
or fixed big enough for a magpie at 200 yds,
good field of view..

Looked at a range of scopes but came away empty handed..
the burris 4 14 x42 came close but not close enough

On sunday I was at the range shooting at 200yds with a Nicon Monarch 3, 4-16x50 I have just purchased of SD and Could see tbe bullet stikes I dont know why I did not purchase one before thr turret adjustment is very good and the side paralax is also good I have put it on my newly rebarreled 6.5-284 stalking rifle.

My interest in a 4-16x scope is to use for load testing beyond 100 yards, to make sure I am right on target, but I would like something small enough to hunt with if I wanted to.

What do you not like about the Burris 4.5-14x42? Too heavy?
i comes in 1 inch and 30mm MTAC version with half Mil stadia and Mil Mil turrets.

Burris makes a compact 4.5-14x32 AO with Ballistic Plex, for short actions like the WSM, .223, .308.

Nikon P-223 is 3-9x40 with turrets and BP reticle

Swift makes pretty nice fine duplex 4-12x40mm AO

EA Brown markets a scope made for them by Mueller, the 97D, which is pretty nice and not expensive. $159 US. 4-12x40 AO

Last edited:
My interest in a 4-16x scope is to use for load testing beyond 100 yards, to make sure I am right on target, but I would like something small enough to hunt with if I wanted to.

What do you not like about the Burris 4.5-14x42? Too heavy?
i comes in 1 inch and 30mm MTAC version with half Mil stadia and Mil Mil turrets.

Burris makes a compact 4.5-14x32 AO with Ballistic Plex, for short actions like the WSM, .223, .308.

Nikon P-223 is 3-9x40 with turrets and BP reticle

Swift makes pretty nice fine duplex 4-12x40mm AO

EA Brown markets a scope made for them by Mueller, the 97D, which is pretty nice and not expensive. $159 US. 4-12x40 AO

Weight wise it was just at the limit for a carry gun for me. It had the lithted cross and down a bit
no turrets, and at 6x mag was less than a 6x i was comparing it with?
Also got a bit of double vision on the reticule, I also get that with a mamba lite, so it might be me

All of them are too big for me, too, for hunting. The light is going to dim on a high power variable with less than 50mm objective.
I like the side parallax adjustment on the Nikon Monarch.

I don't know why, but right now the Burris 4.5-14x42 MTAC 30mm tube GP2 reticle is on sale for the same as the hunting one in 1 inch tube, $349, which is $200 below the Nikon.

Right now, I am using an airgun scope, 4-12x40AO, with 1/8 minute clicks, for occasional load testing. With its fine crosshair, it works well. I may just keep on and pray my centerfires don't break it. ISo far, so good.

Back