Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: last rites/sayings

last rites/sayings

hi all, was talking to a former raf officer awhile back who learnt his stalking craft with some german barons/nobelmen. at the end of a succesful stalk they would kneel down beside the animal and say a few words for its final passage, i do the same but words escape me in the moment any suggestions thats fitting , thanks sb.

One of my friends who is also on the stalking site told me the words he used to say and Ive done it ever since.

It goes like this - I hope Ive got it right

Sorry I have killed you
    When we meet again in the next life
    may your spirit forgive mine

I think its originally said in gaelic.

I always say... He who hesitates sleeps with the goats 8)

Respect for the Slain

You are quite right. The asking for forgiveness after the killing of an animal was a primitive hunters rite dating back to the Clans of part of whats now Banffshire which was called " The Hundred Hills" (a translation) in prehistory. This kind of rite is found in a lot of native hunting people's folklore and American Indians quote an almost identicle apology. My Grandfather taught me the one quoted by the Beattie16 and I have passed it to all who I stalk with. I would like to hear you say it again Tom so if you and Al want to come and visit drop me a PM. David

Hi Davie

Would love to come up again. Will speak to Alan and get something sorted. Speak soon.. Cheers Tam

The Navajo would offer a prayer to the gods when they killed a deer.

"I have killed one of your animals but it will not go to waste."

I don't believe they prayed directly to the animal's spirit.

My apologies in advance to any that might be offended if I have misinterpreted this ritual.

I often find myself talking to the shot beast.

perhaps Im going senile?

Hey kids we're eating this week .

How about "I'll ask Griff to keep the quad in low, so you don't feel the bumps"

I pray I've remembered me orange frost knife