Educational Resources Needed - Ammunition/Ballistics

*Apols I've posted this in Ammunition, reloading & Ballistics too*

Hi Folks
Does anyone know where I would be able to find some useful resources which could be used as a teaching aid.
I teach the safe use of firearms and topics relating i.e. how they function/ammunition/ballististics etc to 17+ year olds and would like to get my mitts on some cross sections of cartridges and bullets.
There are lots of good quality you tube clips and animations which are useful but I'd like to have some posters etc up in the classroom.

I remember years and years ago at my local Clay Ground the cafe walls were adorned with Eley (i think) poster sized, plastic cross section displays of inside a shotgun cartridge (guess they were sent out with reps for advertising).

Something like these would be perfect for shotgun cartridges and rifle ammunition, any clues where I could get some from?
Equally if anyone has come across anything else that might be interesting I'm all ears!

Many Thanks in advance!
L.L.C

Have you tried contacting any of the big brands/distributers and asking if they could supply anything like the Eley ones you describe? They might be keen to help if they think it will raise their profile with the next generation of customers.

Yep SimpleSimon, I have flung out some emails this week so hopefully they will respond over the next few weeks. As you say it would be a marketing opportunity for them!

Yes these are/were apparently on display at the Smithsonian Institute.
There are detailed descriptions available for each image if you want?

Yes these are/were apparently on display at the Smithsonian Institute.
There are detailed descriptions available for each image if you want?

Oh really - didn't see any descriptions when I saw them on the internet - i'll do a bit of internet trawling, thanks limulus.

Hi LLC,
i am curious as to where, under what criteria and for whom you teach the safe use and handling of firearms to 17+year olds.
I would have thought if you are involved in the field of firearms training, teaching aids that you require would be readily available to you.

Ian.

Hi LLC,
i am curious as to where, under what criteria and for whom you teach the safe use and handling of firearms to 17+year olds.
I would have thought if you are involved in the field of firearms training, teaching aids that you require would be readily available to you.

Ian.

Hi Ian
I teach Countryside Management at an FE college. Students working at Level 3 have a module which involves understanding the mechanisation, ballistics and safety issues relating to shotguns and rifles.

Hi Ian
I teach Countryside Management at an FE college. Students working at Level 3 have a module which involves understanding the mechanisation, ballistics and safety issues relating to shotguns and rifles.

You must be teaching at Moulton college then? Have you tried the trade there are several gunshops in the Northampton area, they may be able to help, however there may be a legal aspect to what you are asking.
I am unaware of any legislation covering educational aids but the law would prohibit you from having in your possession, any expanding projectiles of the kind used for hunting without a current firearms licence, whether sectioned expanding bullets are still classed as whole is a grey area.
Target bullets do not come under this legislation and are constructed differently so you would be legally able to possess them but i am not sure if they would be relevant to what you are trying to teach your students.

Ian.

Here's what I posted on the other version of this thread - rather like Simple Simon's answer, but less succinct:):

You've perhaps answered your own question when you mention reps and advertising: I think I'd start with wholesalers/importers such as Edgars, GMK and RUAG Ammotech. Assuming that such low-tech things as posters are still produced, I imagine they'd be pleased to have their brands put in front of trainee-shooters and would therefore be delighted to send you something suitable.

Back