Odd one out....

The Burpster

While reloading 6.5x55 this afternoon I picked up a bullet put it on the neck of the case to press it in and it fell into the case....!

Carefully pulled it out by the ogive thinking I had missed one in the neck sizing and cussing my self when I thought 'hang on a minute' that doesn't just not fit that's a whole different calibre.

Put it to one side and finished the batch and then measured it. A 100gn .243 Pro hunter.

So has anyone else had an odd bullet in a box? I've been reloading now close on ten years and this is a first for me (occasionally had 101 in a box instead of 100, but all the same size).

this was a brand new sealed box of Sierra Prohunter 120gn spitzers.

:-|

I once had a different calibre soft piont bullet in a box of Hornady spitzers, (can't remember exactly which variant) It was a similar weight as the rest of the box but totally different - It was 20 years ago & it put me off Hornady for a good while - Went over to Speer & then Sierra & never had a problem with them.
Another reason for the change was the visible lead point to jacket line was irregular on Hornadys at the time, (worse than Speer of Sierra equivalents) so I decided that their manufacturing wasn't as good.

Ian

I had different shape but same weight and diametre bullets in a box of Sierra 257 cal 100g Matchkings.

Matchkings_019.jpg
I emailed Sierra with my concerns and sent pics, 4 weeks later i recieved a free box of bullets through the post from the importer.

Ian.

Last edited:
I recently bought 1000 Sierra 155 grain Palma Match bullets and received an email a week later saying that there might be some 175 grain Match Kings mixed in the lot, and to be careful.~Muir

While reloading 6.5x55 this afternoon I picked up a bullet put it on the neck of the case to press it in and it fell into the case....!

Carefully pulled it out by the ogive thinking I had missed one in the neck sizing and cussing my self when I thought 'hang on a minute' that doesn't just not fit that's a whole different calibre.

Put it to one side and finished the batch and then measured it. A 100gn .243 Pro hunter.

So has anyone else had an odd bullet in a box? I've been reloading now close on ten years and this is a first for me (occasionally had 101 in a box instead of 100, but all the same size).

this was a brand new sealed box of Sierra Prohunter 120gn spitzers.

:-|

It happens now and again and with different manufacturers. The most common with me has been the odd .270 bullet mixed in with .308 bullets though I have also encountered a .243 mixed in with .308 bullets.
With regard to there being 101 bullets in a box of 100 that has been a regular thing with some manufacturers. A mate claimed that this was deliberate so that the spare can be used to make a dummy to save time when setting up dies. I don't know if this entirely true but the idea has some merit.

Thinking about it while neither occurrence is a particular problem in most countries in the U.K. technically speaking and being entirely pedantic for the sake of debate having an expanding bullet of another calibre without the necessary authority would be illegal. So too would having that extra bullet if you were right on your limit as regards numbers. However I doubt if even the most draconian firearms department would pursue the matter over a single bullet should they come across it, or would they? :-|

It happens now and again and with different manufacturers. The most common with me has been the odd .270 bullet mixed in with .308 bullets though I have also encountered a .243 mixed in with .308 bullets.
With regard to there being 101 bullets in a box of 100 that has been a regular thing with some manufacturers. A mate claimed that this was deliberate so that the spare can be used to make a dummy to save time when setting up dies. I don't know if this entirely true but the idea has some merit.

Thinking about it while neither occurrence is a particular problem in most countries in the U.K. technically speaking and being entirely pedantic for the sake of debate having an expanding bullet of another calibre without the necessary authority would be illegal. So too would having that extra bullet if you were right on your limit as regards numbers. However I doubt if even the most draconian firearms department would pursue the matter over a single bullet should they come across it, or would they? :-|

Reckon I know of one area where things might get difficult.:norty:

I recently bought 1000 Sierra 155 grain Palma Match bullets and received an email a week later saying that there might be some 175 grain Match Kings mixed in the lot, and to be careful.~Muir

surely this is worse than wrong calibre?

Well did to an RFD in Northants. Found a couple of .44 XTP pistol bullets that had come out of a box down the back of a stand and prosecuted. The chap was friend of the keeper I used to shoot with.

Back