The best value for money .243 around today.

techno

What gets your vote for the best .243 rifle out there at the moment, new and old, and why?
Answers below please!!:p

Howa 1500s can be had for a very good price new which in turn helps keep the second hand price down. The stocks and triggers can be upgraded easily enough and they're reliable.

It's not the best .243 out there but you'd be hard pushed to beat it for value.

You're going to get a flood of responses to this, so if it's a buying decision you're after you'll likely be none the wiser at the end of it... but... for what it's worth I would never get rid of my Tikka T3 Stainless Lite complimented with a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 x 50.

It's light, it's very accurate with Feral 100gn ammo and is seamless in operation... love it!

And it didn't cost the earth...!

Stig

My old Savage 110 is only worth a few quid if I sold it but it outshoots many other rifles that cost a mint, to me that makes it priceless.

Reliable and accurate. Lightweight and pointable. Great value for money with top class stalking optics included. A far better option than the budget rifles on the market. You won't beat my ruger m77 that I'm selling and I'm open to offers! For Sale: Ruger M77 Mk2 .243

I recently bought two Howa's one in 22/250 and the other in 270, both shooting less than 1'' groups and easily adjustable triggers. I'm more than happy with them and I imagine a 243 would be just as good.

Mike

Parker hale, I know most of them look like a dogs breakfast but I love mine and at £50 I dont think you can beat it, tweaked homeloads 0.5moa.
:coat:

It really depends what you are looking for, how do you define value, are you looking for a rifle that will last you a life time, or something that will get you started, are looks important to you, there are so many things to add to the equation.

If you are a traditionalist B.S.A. or Parker Hale not that popular with many of todays shooters so for that reason can be picked up cheap and therefore better value than a lot of secondhand modern rifles.

Sako very good and should last a lifetime, especially the older models(pre Beretta) which can now be picked up for a reasonable price.

Tikka a stable mate of Sako a good rifle at a more realistic price than a new Sako.

Howa basically a Sako copy a not bad rifle and good value for the money asked.

Or if money is a real issue, and you want new as opposed to secondhand
a Remington 770 now I can hear the gasps of horror and it would not be my first
choice but think on this.

At the present time you can buy a new 770 synthetic stock, screw cut, and pre fitted with a variable Bushnell scope(a bottom of the range one certainly) all for the grand price of £350

OK the bolt feels a bit rough but it does get better with use, the trigger is pretty awful but there are replacement triggers on the market, but again if cost is an issue and while Remington say the triggers are not adjustable a gunsmith will fettle the trigger for you making it perfectably usable for £ 35~£40

Barrels seem be good accurate once you sort out the trigger.

As I say would not be my choice but for someone starting out on a limited budget its got to be good value.

Last edited:
Howa 1500 gets my vote. You dont "need" to do anything to them. Good solid rifle with no plastic bits!

Back