Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tail docking in Scotland

Tail docking in Scotland

I see the research from Glasgow university into tail docking in Scotland has now been published.

The authors say;'Undocked working dogs at greatest risk of tail injuries in Scotland

Sufficient evidence to lift current docking ban on certain breeds, say authors'

'"Given the results of this and the accompanying paper it may be appropriate to consider changes to the current legislation for specific breeds of working dogs," conclude the authors.'

So there is the science they wanted, lets see the action from the politicians....

I'm not holding my breath on this one getting seen to anytime soon, a ridiculous rule that should never have gone through in the first place, here's hoping anyhow.

Lets hope it gets changed, but I want hold my breath.

Working breeds spaniels the rest don't require it .

Great to see this report finally published and supporting what working dog owners already know. However I fear that big Eck and his gang will sit on this for sometime.
    Sako 75 .22-250, Browning A-Bolt .270

Surely so called educated people can see the reason to dock working dogs unlike the show dogs that are just done for cosmetics. I just wonder if any of them have actually seen the damage that can be done?

Do you have a link to where the paper has been published?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

they wanted the proof

the science and survey has been done

and ill be amazed if they "listen" to it at all...... we are after all only the plebs that put them there in the 1st place...why should they listen
    or face the embarrassment of a "U turn"

will be like the airgun survey they carried out...overwhelming support for no more legislation and they ignored it anyway

cynical...yes but id be so happy to be wrong

Knowing how politicians work they will probably use this evidence to ban all hunting & shooting so there will be no need to have a working dog so no need for docked tails.

Docking at birth is by far the better option than docking once chronic injury and infection is present. Thankfully I have a good vet who recognized the start of future problems for my wee sprocker and did the right thing the first time I had her in for tail issues.
    As mentioned, it's doubtful Eck and Macaskill will do anything that appears to favour the field sports community.