Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ 557. Anybody seen one?

CZ 557. Anybody seen one?

Cz557. Has anybody seen one in the flesh? Article in current Sporting Rifle magazine about one being used with new Meopta scope on driven hunt in Czech Republic. The oiled lux stock looks well. Was contemplating a new barrel for Sauer 202 in 7x64 but by the time I buy new barrel, new bolt, new magazine, it will certainly cost more than cz. My 202 is currently a .243. With the cz I will have two readily available rifles, rather than having to switch barrels.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers, Glen

I did read a little about it, came to the conclusion it is what the 455 is to the 452, cheaper to make.
    Doesn't make it a bad rifle, but is unlikely to make it a better rifle than the 550.

I saw one in the local gun shop here in the states, I wouldnt waste my money. What I saw was a stock that looked like a heavy stain on it and not much else. I like the cz rifles, have 7 presently, ill stick with the 550s.

Got one on order be here in may 20in in 6.5x55 sporter.

Hi Derek, I'd be very keen to hear what you think of it when you get it. How is price compared to cz550? I had a Cz 550 for 10 years. CZ never seem to make a bad rifle, despite the slagging some give them.

Hi glen it has been on order since october 2013 i think the price is around 700 will keep you posted mate.

I have never had a bad cz i think thay are good value made of real wood and good blueing at a price evrey one can aford.

I have ask this one to come in a walnut stock and not ash it may take a bit longer. thay only supply ash stocks to europe so the web site tells me.

When CZ first began trying to get a foothold in the US market in the 1990s, they imported a lot of rifles ( and all the big Safari Magnums ) in Turkish walnut.

Now they ship in the barreled actions and stock them in American Black Walnut, so most are straight grain with little figure, like the Ruger M77.

They are solid rifles with really good barrels. I like the smaller Safari Magnum in 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag, with iron sights and some drop on the stock. I wish they would offer it in 7x64mm. They actually did for their Anniversary Edition, in Bavarian style stock of marbled Turkish walnut, but would not import it to the US, not even a special order.

Quote Originally Posted by derek treherne View Post
    I have ask this one to come in a walnut stock and not ash it may take a bit longer. thay only supply ash stocks to europe so the web site tells me.
    You don't mean beech and not ash do you?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.