Bisley - what do I need?

s8mdevo

Guys,

i really would like like to go to bisley and zero a couple of rifles. I have my fac with .22lr .17hmr and .243 calibres.

i have never shot on a range before and wondered how I would go about doing this. I have heard I need to be a member of a club? I have also heard I need a safe shooter card? Is this correct?

if not would anybody be able to assist me as to what is the best route I should take to get to bisley and get my rifles zeroed.

i am in surrey and if I need to join a club I am willing to do so. Any ideas on which are the best clubs around?

thanks in advance

sam

if you want to go to Bisley too shoot you have two options

1. If you are a member of the BASC or any HOA approved club you can book through them, you will have to do a range certification, around £20.

2. Otherwise you will have to Join the NRA and be a probationer as with any other HOA club, have a look below.

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/membership/how.asp?site=NRA

Good luck

Last edited:
Can't imagine much has changed in the world of shooting since you asked that question earlier this week. The BBSRPC is your pretty much your cheapest and most effective option for getting on that range.

You can book things directly but then you run the risk of not knowing the protocol, breaking the law and generally feeling marginalised by what should rightly be a tightly run operation (just like the chap on Airgun BBS having a whinge about the set up and other people on the range).

I'd like to shoot at Bisley and all use my centre fires for target shooting but it will be a bit boring by myself and I think it'd be good to have someone showing me the ropes. I've just joined the BBSRPC and will go along in May for my first shoot there. £40 for the year and no hassles with not knowing the drill. What cold be easier?

I used to go as a member of BASC and shoot on Short Siberia. I've shot at Bisley and many other ranges through Clubs, Deer groups and the Army but on those occasions the BASC membership was all I needed.

.... but if you don't know the range safety procedure and all the gubbins that goes with it then I would second what others have said and join up to a club or find someone to tag along with.

Last edited:
You will still have to arrange for range certification, whatever route you take. You cannot shoot at Bisley without it. You will need to get booked for it as they are done in bulk, not on an individual basis.

You will still have to arrange for range certification, whatever route you take. You cannot shoot at Bisley without it. You will need to get booked for it as they are done in bulk, not on an individual basis.
it is handled by the club in this case, or you can go the NRA route.also you can shoot if supervised, otherwise no one would be able to train for it.

If you are not a member of the NRA you wont be able to do it through them, you will have to do it through your club in order to shoot at Bisley. No Range cert, No Shooting, at Bisley anyway. Tough I know but that's the way it is. I am a member and if I forget my range cert, I wont be shooting, simple as that.
However, If you are not a member of an affiliated Club you wont be able to shoot at Bisley anyway.

Last edited:
2 p worth

Did't think you needed a safety /hme card for zero range ? Lots use it when collecting rifles from repair shops that have no club membership , just request a zero card pay your cash and go play but as others have said use basc or joint bds, running deer range/club

Join a club and first learn all you need to re safety and on-the-firing point etiquette.

To put this in perspective were I shooting at 100 yards on Short Siberia and you rocked up for a spot of fun from the adjoining 200 FP I'd have every right to assume you were 'competent'.

K

If you are not a member of the NRA you wont be able to do it through them, you will have to do it through your club in order to shoot at Bisley. No Range cert, No Shooting, at Bisley anyway. Tough I know but that's the way it is. I am a member and if I forget my range cert, I wont be shooting, simple as that.
However, If you are not a member of an affiliated Club you wont be able to shoot at Bisley anyway.
Agreed, however you will be able to shoot without a card as long as you are there as a member of an affiliated Club and under supervision on a club shoot

I would humbly suggest:

1. Read this - http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/rangeoffice/bookingsmenu.asp?site=NRA

2. And this - http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/certification/certification.asp?site=NRA - "Civilian use of MoD ranges, and Certification"

3. Or phone the Range Office on 01483 797777
call_skype_logo.png
01483 797777 on ext 152 and ask them!
phew! I had forgotten how screwed up the NRA website is! annex A Appendix 3 (exceptions) would seem to cover someone joining a club and being assessed for a club issued SSC

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

phew! I had forgotten how screwed up the NRA website is! annex A Appendix 3 (exceptions) would seem to cover someone joining a club and being assessed for a club issued SSC

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

I'm sure now that the roads have been repaired that someone will get onto helping folk actually shoot there :doh:

sorry kennyc, it was totally acceptable i was just seeing if anybody knew of any other options. i will be contacting your club secretary tonight and hopefully arranging to come down and get started. once again thanks for your advice and help.

Can't imagine much has changed in the world of shooting since you asked that question earlier this week. The BBSRPC is your pretty much your cheapest and most effective option for getting on that range.

You can book things directly but then you run the risk of not knowing the protocol, breaking the law and generally feeling marginalised by what should rightly be a tightly run operation (just like the chap on Airgun BBS having a whinge about the set up and other people on the range).

I'd like to shoot at Bisley and all use my centre fires for target shooting but it will be a bit boring by myself and I think it'd be good to have someone showing me the ropes. I've just joined the BBSRPC and will go along in May for my first shoot there. £40 for the year and no hassles with not knowing the drill. What cold be easier?

I totally agree with what you are saying. I think i will be joining the BBSRPC as well. Hope to see you at a shoot soon.

sam

I used to go as a member of BASC and shoot on Short Siberia. I've shot at Bisley and many other ranges through Clubs, Deer groups and the Army but on those occasions the BASC membership was all I needed.

.... but if you don't know the range safety procedure and all the gubbins that goes with it then I would second what others have said and join up to a club or find someone to tag along with.

Thanks for the advice, i think i will be joining the BBSRPC if they will accept me.

sam

Back