Hit or miss?

I'm leaning towards miss based on what I see although that wouldn't be very interesting so I'm guessing it's some random deflection that caused such an un-likely bullet strike and he's dead just under the hedge.

I am afraid it was a miss. I was behind the camera watching the deer when the shooter (to my right) pulled the trigger and I saw the puff directly behind the deer and was sure it was the hit... :oops: But it was .270 lifting very saturated ground behind the deer. As said no reaction to the shot, well you can see all deer flinch at the same time, but the buck is just surprised to see the guy missed :D
BTW we spent good while searching for the pins and paint anyway, but also saw the deer running up the slope on the other side of the road. It was a nice clean buck too...

How far away is it out of interest?
Did you work out the cause of the miss?
Experienced shooter?
A good illustration of how putting the bullet in the right place is the key- the trajectory and energy of the bullet is irrelevant if you can't direct it :)

I am afraid it was a miss. I was behind the camera watching the deer when the shooter (to my right) pulled the trigger and I saw the puff directly behind the deer and was sure it was the hit... :oops: But it was .270 lifting very saturated ground behind the deer. As said no reaction to the shot, well you can see all deer flinch at the same time, but the buck is just surprised to see the guy missed :D
BTW we spent good while searching for the pins and paint anyway, but also saw the deer running up the slope on the other side of the road. It was a nice clean buck too...

Bugger.. . I heard there was a bottle of whisky for the winner as well :)
Great video and good fun guessing.

Looked like a clean pass through, I've had quite a few roe well shot who just
ran off in a similar manner... Not so easy to tell on the phone though.

I tried my hand at filming at buck last night but failed miserably.

How far away is it out of interest?
Experienced shooter?
A good illustration of how putting the bullet in the right place is the key- the trajectory and energy of the bullet is irrelevant if you can't direct it :)

220m and very experienced shooter, just one of these days. The deer were spooked by the farmer about 1/2mile away and were not going to stop so it was a quick decision. I am sure the buck will be around for another day.

Bugger.. . I heard there was a bottle of whisky for the winner as well :)
Great video and good fun guessing.

Looked like a clean pass through, I've had quite a few roe well shot who just
ran off in a similar manner... Not so easy to tell on the phone though.

I tried my hand at filming at buck last night but failed miserably.

It happens... last time I even forgot to turn on my camera. I was sure it was on, but it was not recording... not great loss as I missed the deer... :oops:

I must confess I that I thought that looked like a hit.

As long as you have the land owners permission it's ok, so that would be the highways agency or county council they don't give us permission around here. Martyn
Do the Highways Agency/ County Councils own the highways?

I must further confess that I believe it is possible to shoot lawfully from and/or over public highways.

Last edited:

I'm afraid I'd attribute it, at least in part, to the shooter being given a cue to shoot. If the shooter already felt as though time was short, a little extra pressure to make a shot for the camera may have been enough to make him hurry the shot.

We're all in the habit of driving away quickly when the lights turn green, and are wont to react with similar haste when given a cue. Taking a second to pause at this point can make all the difference, but it requires a little extra presence of mind - something I suspect we've all wished for at some time or other.

A good video, though.

As has been said, however, all you can do is assume any shot is good until the lack of evidence convinces you otherwise.

The council own the road, footpath + verge to the center of a ditch or hedge etc only in very rare circumstances do the landowners own upto the road.They do not give permission to shoot from the highway and if plod was to drive past i would think you would be on very dodgy ground i personally wouldn't do it and im not saying it was done in this case just be careful.

Well all the hit brigade were well off....hate to think what there kill rate is....Nice vid again
Tim.243

The council own the road, footpath + verge to the center of a ditch or hedge etc only in very rare circumstances do the landowners own upto the road.They do not give permission to shoot from the highway and if plod was to drive past i would think you would be on very dodgy ground i personally wouldn't do it and im not saying it was done in this case just be careful.

I really don't think it's as straightforward as that.

Back