Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kia ora from NZ

Kia ora from NZ

Hello. I currently live in New Zealand but I've just accepted a new job in Newbury, West Berkshire, and will be moving there with my wife and two girls in August. I know one of the things I'll miss the most when we move will be the hunting. Here in NZ we can hunt all year round on public land for no cost. I mainly hunt reds, but there are also fallow, sika, sambar, rusa, white tail, wapiti or elk (and moose if you still believe they exist in deepst, darkest Fiordland). Non deer species include goats, pigs, tahr and chamois. So, as you can see, we are spoilt for choice and access. I shoot with a 7mm Rem Mag as shots can be from point blank while bush stalking, out to as far as you are comfortable shooting across valleys at open facers and slips. My family love venison (I butcher my own animals) and I hunt for the table (i.e. I haven't shot a decent trophy yet!).

Once we are settled I would love to get out and about to see how you hunt in the UK. If you have any questions about hunting in NZ, please feel free to ask.

K bro.
    all I can say is it must be a hell of a job or ya got rocks in ya head !!!! Worst decision of my life leaving bay of islands to come home lol. Enjoy the site and thanks for a proper intro.

Ha Ha, thanks for that. Never did an OE when we were younger so now it is a family OE! Added a photo to my gallery - not quite sure how to show it on a post.

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome Hayden! I notice you only hunt big game, no feathered game or vermin. NZ must be too orangey for crows. BIDDUM! CHURRR!

Holden a minute that beast is in velvet!

Guess the job offer was a golden opportunity you simply couldn’t refuse.

Welcome to the site

Last edited by Klenchblaize; 12-04-2014 at 18:46.

Plenty of other vermin to shoot if you want to. NZ is over run by the introduced Aussie possum which mosy budding hunters 'cut their teeth on'. Not much sport as they are shot by spotlight (lamping) in the trees at night. Plenty of hares and rabbits which make good eating too. I've never been a game bird shooter - too many other things to keep me busy!

Klenchblaize, Yes, a velvety stag (unfortunately). We can shoot all year round with no restrictions on public land (Department of Conservation controlled forest parks). Some hunters won't shoot animals in velvet, but as I said, I shoot for the table : )
    The government is actually dropping poison from helicpoters to reduce deer numbers in many places.