Tastiest lamb ever

private fraser

A friend grazes some sheep and they end up with the local butcher so we know the whole chain.
We had a half lamb from there recently and we know it was a Blackface, not as many of them around these days as crossbreeds seem to be coming in. Anyway, it's the best lamb I've ever had.
Just wondering what others buy in terms of lamb?.

Do you mean breeds or cuts of last years lamb. If its breeds the most popular is texel or cheviot. Blackies are mainly hill sheep that look after themselves . I didnt think they were that many left in west lothian with the amount we killed in bathgate and the main dealer up there was rab jack? As for cuts you wont beat loin or gigot.....atb scott

Hi Scott, It's over Kippen way. The lamb was quite small so maybe that helps a lot.
At the other end of the scale the lamb we had once from a Makro shop was tough and not great, never again.
Slow roast leg is my favourite.

Can't beat an old black face ewe that has spent its life in the heather. . . None of this lamb for me, mutton every time.. .

Last edited:
This is all seditious talk: surely EVERYONE on this forum subsists on nothing but the products of their hunter-gatherer activities? Agriculture is cheating!

I was brought up on it too, can't seem to get it now though.

Belive it or not ewes are just as dear if not dearer than last seasons lamb. They have to get split now to get the spinal out which adds more additional charges. Most of them go for mince pies or the halal market. I can mind years ago they were giving them away for nothing

I was brought up on it too, can't seem to get it now though.

You can still get it locally if you know where to look ;)
My Grandfather was a hird, there was always a ready supply of blackface ewe, or 'yow' as its more commonly know as in these parts.. .

Mutton is a highly underrated and tasty meat if done correctly, bit old fashioned it seems nowadays and doesn't appear that popular.

George

A friend grazes some sheep and they end up with the local butcher so we know the whole chain.
We had a half lamb from there recently and we know it was a Blackface, not as many of them around these days as crossbreeds seem to be coming in. Anyway, it's the best lamb I've ever had.
Just wondering what others buy in terms of lamb?.

The one I was given as a "thank you" for shooting foxes.

K

A welsh mate gave me a book titled " 100 ways to do lamb" one or two recipes in it also:rofl:

yes Hogget or Mutton much more flavour but as said it cost a lot more to slaughter due to the extra testing and processing required

But slow (4-7hrs ) roast is my fave mainly shoulder but leg also

even when ruffing it in the woods (cant be doing with army rat packs n dehydrated stuff any more)

with ruff 3 veg mash (taters Swede sweet potato)

and a good bottle of port i n the pot for gravy

The Hornet does mutton too:

scan0015_zps60ef74b5.jpg

K

A welsh mate gave me a book titled " 100 ways to do lamb" one or two recipes in it also:rofl:

If your leg of lamb has a mark similar to a love bite,then you know it's Welsh Lamb,otherwise she was just a one night stand.

Breast of lamb is by far my favourite,rolled and stuffed with garlic and sage,venison breast is equally as nice done this way.

yes Hogget or Mutton much more flavour but as said it cost a lot more to slaughter due to the extra testing and processing required

But slow (4-7hrs ) roast is my fave mainly shoulder but leg also

even when ruffing it in the woods (cant be doing with army rat packs n dehydrated stuff any more)

with ruff 3 veg mash (taters Swede sweet potato)

and a good bottle of port i n the pot for gravy

Bloody hell... now that's what I call camping! :)

For me, it has to be salt marsh. Our local butcher has it, I had two racks from him the other week back - rubbish to that new Zealand lamb, it didn't have a patch on Saltmarsh!

Seared in a red hot pan then cooked in the oven for 40/50 minutes. WOW! It just fell apart, I best stop talking about it, ik getting hungry and I've not long had breakfast!

Do you mean breeds or cuts of last years lamb. If its breeds the most popular is texel or cheviot. Blackies are mainly hill sheep that look after themselves . I didnt think they were that many left in west lothian with the amount we killed in bathgate and the main dealer up there was rab jack? As for cuts you wont beat loin or gigot.....atb scott

The old ABP?? I heard that was used as a collection point for stock after they stopped processing. Where you at now?

You can't beat Blackface off the hill and at least two years old as a minimum.

Back