Deer hocks - how lock can use use them for laying a trail

Jonher

Deer hocks - how long can you use them for laying a trail

Hi all,

Been laying some trails for my teckel recently and he's doing great so going to start making them gradually older and older.

My question is, how long can you use a deer hock to lay a trail?

I have half a dozen in the freezer but I was hoping the more experienced can tell me how long you can use the hock for, I have used my present one now to lay 3 trails and just re-froze it as soon as I get home, do they have a 'shelf life' for laying a trail ?

Thanks

Last edited:
I use mine around 4 times before i lob them, the scent gets weeker the older and more times you use, atb wayne

yes depending on what you are wanting to achieve, if you are using a new dog and wanting it to learn and bring up the confidence then there would be only a certain amount i would want to use the cleaves for. I am not saying its wrong but i was under the impression the dog in question is starting out so making things harder and harder at the beginning to me is not a good thing, just my thoughts on the matter, maybe an older wiser dog would suite older cleaves. I always try to mix things up abit and not try to bore the dog or make it fail you will only end up going backwards I would alternate the cleaves from different animals and not use the same set over and over but again just my own thoughts, atb wayne.

Last edited:
You can use them all the time they don't smell manky. As mereside said by the time you have used them about 4 times they are ready for binning.

Back