Thread: Land ownership & tenants

Land ownership & tenants

OK, so I have permission from the land owner, I have permission from the tenant farmer, I even have permission from the conservation organisations on the land... but the 'game shooting rights' holder is kicking up a fuss and objecting... estate politics aside, do I have any options? (probably a difficult one to answer without seeing the written letter of the shooting lease)
    Last edited by stig; 08-04-2014 at 23:46.

What do you want to shoot?

Tenant can nominate you to shoot vermin.

Deer rights usually go with game rights, but not always.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Deer and vermin... Either or both... I know the tenant farmer has someone else he allows to shoot the rabbits so the ground game act probably won't apply as regards permission from him, but the estate/land owner has said yes to me for deer and vermin - I guess if he has leased the rights he has no real say and likely won't want to alienate his game shooting tenant...

I take it that you will be shooting 120 deer per week with an unmoderated .50 Browning?

Does the game shooting tenant have any idea of what a stealthy and quiet pastime stalking is?

Could I suggest tht you invite him to go out with you and show him.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Been there, but from the game shooting side, why do landowners, tenants think its ok to give permission to another person to shoot on land you have paid for, as you say it will depend on the lease, most owners get a agent to draw up the lease, don,t read it then say to other people, you can do this or that.
    I even know of stalkers who paid good money only to discover there were two retired people shooting vermin, all day , five days a week with shot guns and rifles, along with two dogs running around.
    Last edited by Taff; 09-04-2014 at 08:18.

From the game shooting rights holders perspective I don't think I would like someone wandering around the ground disturbing the birds when going to roost or at feeders only to find that when they go to do a drive the birds have all flown. From his view the less disturbance the better, after all he and his syndicate members will have good money for the privilege to shoot.

Maybe the answer is to speak to the lease holder in person and agree times, dates and places where the impact of stalking would be minimised and possibly help him with the fox control. We all have to work together.
    Last edited by Willie; 09-04-2014 at 10:35.

@Taff, I hear you, to be honest I'd be peeved off too if I had the 'rights' and some little scrote rocked up and said he'd been given permission... it's in the hands of the estate right now, but I think regardless I need to go on a hearts and minds campaign and demonstrate I'm not some 'little scrote' and actually would like to help/be of little or no hindrance etc... I have a really good relationship with other keepers on whose land I shoot, always take a fox first etc., but I can remember in all cases the early days were like walking on eggshells as suspicions are high and levels of trust low if there's not a common link/introduction. If he knew I was going to be several hours away and not stalking it daily he might be more relaxed but that might not be what the estate want to hear...