Well earnt first deer.

So from the start of the year I started getting into deer stalking with my first stalk at the start of Jan.
This turned up a blank with not even a deer or sign of a deer seen. But hey ho that’s stalking.

So I booked another stalk and put in for a variation to get my .308 etc. Done.

So eager to get out before my second stalk I booked a third and as it was last minuet it was a high seat. Again nothing showed up but I enjoyed the world waking up at 5:30am.

My second stalk came around which was now my third (this was two stalks pm and am) but bad weather put a dampener on the sat pm stalk and or though we saw fresh slots on the am stalk again no deer turned up but I did manage my first fox.

So earlier this week it was time for my 5th stalk down near Cardiff after Fallow. Within the first 5 mins we saw / spooked 2 fallow bucks and again another 10 mins later spooked another (all were 5 yard away from the ride sitting in thick cover).

Well at least on the forth stalk I had seen deer. Later on we saw a Roe but still the stalk drew to an end at a blank.

I was now thinking I enjoy the stalking but really want to get my first deer.

So the other day Muntjacstalker posted a couple of cancelled stalks up so I though why not as I have been trying to get down to Jason’s for a pop at the Muntjac’s.

So 6:20am on Thursday morning I turn up to a nice day having already seen a muntjac on the move ½ mile down the road.
So we get ready and head off to the first wood and before we get out. Jason says we’ll have a stalk thought but there’s not normally many in here etc but don’t worry as I have plenty on other land were they are.

So over the gate, 10 yards and there’s a Doe looking straight at us at about 120 yards.

Wow so not only have I seen a deer I have now seen one looking at me and I could have taken the shot. But seeing as were only 5 mins in Jason said lets pretend we haven’t seen it. So we go again.

Then we stalk another two (buck and doe) Again we pretended we did not see it and we did this a couple of times.

So a wood with not allot of deer in have already produced 8 Muntjac’s. Well now I thinking this is the place to be.

So we pick out subject and start to stalk. Hidden behind a bush we start to slowing walk forward to the unsuspecting doe that’s minding her own business. We all or a sudden we spook a buck from a hedge row which runs towards the doe and sends her running.

Oh well there’s more. We start to walk out of the wood and along the edge of the field to come back into the wood were they ran. Well as we turned a bend in the field we both stopped. There about 100 yards away in a clearing in the hedge between two fields stood a Doe. Jason asked if I wanted this one and I did.

Up came the sticks and on went the .308.

She knew we were they but I did not want to mess the shot up. Seem like an age for me to pull the trigger and just before I did she moved her head. Well I knew it was now or never.

Boom, off went the 150gr Hornady interlock BTSP bullet and with a loud thud she fell on the spot.

In the bag went my first deer. Very happy and pleased with myself I had finally seen, stalked and shot my first deer on my 6[SUP]th[/SUP] stalk.

We walked up to her and there she lye out for the count were she once stood. But I soon noticed I was a little to the left (back end)

My bullet entered about 1 – 1 ½ inches to the right of the heart / lungs but either ricochet more to the left or she was not quite 90 degrees to me as it left about 6 inches back from the heart etc.

Now this made for a messy grallock but it was done quickly. We could see the bullet had took the heart and lungs with it etc.
So a very good stalk and learnt allot with my first deer in the bag. And even though it was a slightly bad shot I only lost a very small amount of belly meat. So pleased about that.

Thanks for reading and below a picture of my first deer. Now to get out on the Roe bucks but need to save some £££’s now.

Thanks

Michael

Last edited:
So from the start of the year I started getting into deer stalking with my first stalk at the start of Jan.
This turned up a blank with not even a deer or sign of a deer seen. But hey ho that’s stalking.

So I booked another stalk and put in for a variation to get my .308 etc. Done.

So eager to get out before my second stalk I booked a third and as it was last minuet it was a high seat. Again nothing showed up but I enjoyed the world waking up at 5:30am.

My second stalk came around which was now my third (this was two stalks pm and am) but bad weather put a dampener on the sat pm stalk and or though we saw fresh slots on the am stalk again no deer turned up but I did manage my first fox.

So earlier this week it was time for my 5th stalk down near Cardiff after Fallow. Within the first 5 mins we saw / spooked 2 fallow bucks and again another 10 mins later spooked another (all were 5 yard away from the ride sitting in thick cover).

Well at least on the forth stalk I had seen deer. Later on we saw a Roe but still the stalk drew to an end at a blank.

I was now thinking I enjoy the stalking but really want to get my first deer.

So the other day Muntjacstalker posted a couple of cancelled stalks up so I though why not as I have been trying to get down to Jason’s for a pop at the Muntjac’s.

So 6:20am on Thursday morning I turn up to a nice day having already seen a muntjac on the move ½ mile down the road.
So we get ready and head off to the first wood and before we get out. Jason says we’ll have a stalk thought but there’s not normally many in here etc but don’t worry as I have plenty on other land were they are.

So over the gate, 10 yards and there’s a Doe looking straight at us at about 120 yards.

Wow so not only have I seen a deer I have now seen one looking at me and I could have taken the shot. But seeing as were only 5 mins in Jason said lets pretend we haven’t seen it. So we go again.

Then we stalk another two (buck and doe) Again we pretended we did not see it and we did this a couple of times.

So a wood with not allot of deer in have already produced 8 Muntjac’s. Well now I thinking this is the place to be.

So we pick out subject and start to stalk. Hidden behind a bush we start to slowing walk forward to the unsuspecting doe that’s minding her own business. We all or a sudden we spook a buck from a hedge row which runs towards the doe and sends her running.

Oh well there’s more. We start to walk out of the wood and along the edge of the field to come back into the wood were they ran. Well as we turned a bend in the field we both stopped. There about 100 yards away in a clearing in the hedge between two fields stood a Doe. Jason asked if I wanted this one and I did.

Up came the sticks and on went the .308.

She knew we were they but I did not want to mess the shot up. Seem like an age for me to pull the trigger and just before I did she moved her head. Well I knew it was now or never.

Boom, off went the 150gr Hornady interlock BTSP bullet and with a loud thud she fell on the spot.

In the bag went my first deer. Very happy and pleased with myself I had finally seen, stalked and shot my first deer on my 6[SUP]th[/SUP] stalk.

We walked up to her and there she lye out for the count were she once stood. But I soon noticed I was a little to the left (back end)

My bullet entered about 1 – 1 ½ inches to the right of the heart / lungs but either ricochet more to the left or she was not quite 90 degrees to me as it left about 6 inches back from the heart etc.

Now this made for a messy grallock but it was done quickly. We could see the bullet had took the heart and lungs with it etc.
So a very good stalk and learnt allot with my first deer in the bag. And even though it was a slightly bad shot I only lost a very small amount of belly meat. So pleased about that.

Thanks for reading and below a picture of my first deer. Now to get out on the Roe bucks but need to save some £££’s now.

Thanks

Michael

Congratulations mate you never forget your first :thumb: Its sounds to me that there was nothing wrong with the shot.

Regards kev

Well done, and it's all the sweeter because it required so much perseverance! As for the shot, it doesn't take much on a target the size of the muntjac for the bullet to stray where it shouldn't. The first muntjac I shot was quartering slightly, so the bullet entered where it should but came out too far back. As you said, a messy gralloch ensues, and you lose a little meat. But the rest is well worth having, it never tastes better than when you shot it yourself! Just one thing though: if I were you, I'd seriously look into acquiring a longer moderator....

Well done, and it's all the sweeter because it required so much perseverance! As for the shot, it doesn't take much on a target the size of the muntjac for the bullet to stray where it shouldn't. The first muntjac I shot was quartering slightly, so the bullet entered where it should but came out too far back. As you said, a messy gralloch ensues, and you lose a little meat. But the rest is well worth having, it never tastes better than when you shot it yourself! Just one thing though: if I were you, I'd seriously look into acquiring a longer moderator....

Thanks and now what you mean about the shot. In the pic you can just see were it went in. Cant wait to get it on table.

Longer or shorter Mod.

It massive in my eyes but even though its an old T8 it does the job really well.

Michael

I was joking, I also find it to be a humungous moderator. It looks like you have an exhaust pipe on your rifle!

Its somthing on the to do list but at the moment while it works (all be it a big bid and heavy) ill keep it and spend the money on stalking.

Michael

Well done Michael, plenty more where that came from. We all hit them a bit far back from time to time and misjudge the angle they are at. Munties can be a hell of a job to tell sometimes and 100 yards is far enough off sticks.

Plenty of life left in that old rifle yet but didn't I mention its habit of performing the good old 'one shot gralloch' occassionally? I always thought it was me! :D

Don't listen to all this nonsense about the size of your moderator, its only jealousy, also it saves on follow up shots, simply remove and drop it on the deer's head. :lol:

Back