Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what zero

what zero

hi all
    jus got my new rifle a styer pro hunter in 6.6x55 ,i am putting a 8x56 s+b on it .my question is what range should i zero it at ,i am getting all kinds of advice from 100 to 200 to 1" high at 100 etc . i am using federal 140 grain bullets so any help would be appreciated

novice deer shooter

I've got the same creature and it's zeroed at just under 2" (I think it's 1.6 but with my crappy shooting who knows! ) high at 100, should give you smack on at 200 and smack on at about 30 with 140g PMC ammuntion. Works for me.

I think this comes down to what and where you usually stalk, I for examle usually stalk in fairley thick woods so have the rifle zeroed at 100 yards, as I rarely shoot over 60-70 yards.

Others that stalk open feilds or on the hill prefer Drews zeroing preference ie a long range zero.

i always had my .243 prohunter mountain with 8x56 s&b zeroed at about 1" high @100m, and never reall shot much in excess of that, using 100gns.

i've just change ammo to 55gn BT's for fox and zeroed it to 2cm high at 100m, which should be about zero @ 200m.

i hadnt checked this against a target, but missed 4 foxes the other night, all at about 200m ish!!

my point is, dont assume what your gun will do at different ranges, actually try it out at the ranges in question.

fitted a 6.5 - 20 x 50 leupold to it last night which i will zero at 200m, and then shoot targets at 100 to see where its hitting. the 8x56 is going on a .308 blaser which will be zeroed at 150M

hope this is useful.

I think this comes down to what and where you usually stalk
    Very good point...I'm all open hill reds, if you're shooting from a high seat, for instance, you'll need to find out what it does at your range. Waste a few's never a waste!

I always put mine one inch high at 100yds. That way anything out to 200yds is bang on the money, with most calibres used for stalking. And even though I stalk all the species throughout the season, you very rarely take shots over 200yds at anytime, unless you are on the open hill. And even then 200yds plus is a shot not taken that often.

I always sight in an inch high at 100 yards. As I never shoot much over about 150 yards, this way I am always in the zone, with a good bit to spare.

Same as above 1" high at 100 yards, both my .243 with 100 gr and .270 with 130gr.

thanks for all the advice lads..

it looks like 1'' high at 100 is the best all round compromise as i hope to use it on deer in the woods and hill and fox's over open fields
    i am off now put loads of holes in paper

thanks again

I'd be all for doing a test at say 200yds just to get a bit of
    On one occasion I took friend along to a field and we set up a target at
    about 250yds (223m) to see if my drop chart was ok. My friend has a
    6.5x55 and running 156gr Lapua mega's. He had zeroed at 100m and
    just did his HCAP (DSC) test succesfully. He thought he would possibly need to hold top right of the paper also because of the fluky wind. Three shots and he didn't hit paper at all and only two hit the bottom left of the plywood. So much for all the 300yd deer he told me about.

Similar was a chance we had at a 300m range with another friend and his 25-06 running 100gr Nos BT's. Although he clicked his scope up 13 or so
    clicks he only hit bottom of the big 300m paper.
    Think it was an eye opener for both lads.
    A bit of testing would be helpfull incase a make good shot is needed
    at some stage.