Ballistic tips not working.

stecad

Been using the Nosler version in my 308 (150grn) and 6.5 (120grn) for some time now. Use the Vmax version in my 243 (87grn).
Recently the majority just pass straight through the beast. Never had this with the old fashioned reliable SPs.
This happens at all ranges and even out to 200yrds which is about as far as I'd be shooting.
All loads are with Vhit 140 or 160 and deer legal velocities for the respective head.
None of the deer complain but they do run away a bit before giving up and lying down. :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:
I'm thinking about going back to SPs, probably a no brainer as they are cheaper.

Any ideas?

if they are too slow they wont expand and just zip right through, if your powder has become degraded this can have a massive bearing on speed and performance although the book will suggest ideal velocity for charge. If you are shooting well in the chest then deer will usually run anyway which is what you should expect. Softer bullets that pretty much explode inside the deer certainly help knock them over yeh but bullet fragments can make a right mess which is not the best trade off.

Recently the majority just pass straight through the beast. Never had this with the old fashioned reliable SPs.

Are you judging this on the basis of a small entry and exit wound?

Most deer shot in the chest will run a little way.

if they are too slow they wont expand and just zip right through, if your powder has become degraded this can have a massive bearing on speed and performance although the book will suggest ideal velocity for charge. If you are shooting well in the chest then deer will usually run anyway which is what you should expect. Softer bullets that pretty much explode inside the deer certainly help knock them over yeh but bullet fragments can make a right mess which is not the best trade off.

I have not seen this "explosion" with Game Kings or Sierra Hot Cor...or even the PPU soft nose, nor have I seen fragments other than the occasional jacket separation.(Even in that case, the core exited leaving the jacket under the skin next to the exit wound.) I think the mess that happens in a deer's chest cavity from a solid hit with an expanding bullet is instigated by the bullet, but it largely a physiological reaction to the sudden pressure change. Not an explosion of the bullet. I have dressed too many deer with a 1.5" exit wound on the off side and nothing but soup in the chest cavity, with no trace of 'fragments'.~Muir

yes Muir on medium deer fallow up 150gr gamekings in 30 cal are great but on the smaller roe they can really mash up the far side, bit like sst's which smash the deer but can make a right mess on roe when a little forward catching the shoulders. The splash off the bullet on bigger deer never seems to hit the far side of the cavity though.

if you wanted to try shooting a lump of ballistic gelatine with any expanding bullets, you'll find way more fragments than you'll probably be comfortable with. i was shocked the first time i saw it, there were bits of lead and copper all over the place and quite a ways from the bullet path. head and neck shots for anything i'm planning on eating ever since then....

As already said the speed at which you push them will have a lot to do with the expansion rate, I use the 165grn in 30.06 and they perform brilliantly but the 150grn in my 7mm rem mag expand to much even at 300yds.

Many thanks. Some useful comments.
Been looking at getting a chrono for some time - guess i'll have to take the plunge.
Shot a mature roe buck on Saturday - 75yrds with Nosler 6.5x55mm, 120grn BTs over 46grn N160. Heart shot, but taken at a slight angle so the round travelled across the chest and cut through the liver exiting with a small hole. Heart & lungs complete mush and the shoulder/upper leg was completely destroyed (worst meat damage I've ever seen).
This combo works well on the range and has taken many long range foxes but guess it's back to the drawing board due to the meat damage on deer.

As previously said Hunting BT react differently than Varmit BT have a look on the Nosler site. Also twist rates and velocity is an important factor in what happens when the bullet strikes the quarry. Two identical rifles may shoot the same load differently just a case of try and see.

D

Many thanks. Some useful comments.
Been looking at getting a chrono for some time - guess i'll have to take the plunge.
Shot a mature roe buck on Saturday - 75yrds with Nosler 6.5x55mm, 120grn BTs over 46grn N160. Heart shot, but taken at a slight angle so the round travelled across the chest and cut through the liver exiting with a small hole. Heart & lungs complete mush and the shoulder/upper leg was completely destroyed (worst meat damage I've ever seen).
This combo works well on the range and has taken many long range foxes but guess it's back to the drawing board due to the meat damage on deer.

Hi.
I use that very same Bullet in my 6.5x284. Never really had an issue and I am guessing mine are travelling faster than the swede.
Don't give up on it yet. I always used the 100 grain NBT when I ran a swede and never had a Carcass knocked back by a very, very, fussy Tillhill Wildlife Manager.

Yorkie.

I also use 120gr nosler ballistic tip( hunting)in my 6.5x284
found them to work very well on all deer run them at 2950fts

Back