Making venison sausages,traceability

devon deer stalker

Hi All,

Does anyone on here make venison sausages and sell them on?
For me it won't be a problem selling on venison once approved by the EHO, but if i were to make sausages/burgers i include pork in the mix and i am unsure what impact this could have on me.
Tracebility is a factor, as i don't have access to pork i will have to purchase from a third party and use in my sausages.
Will i need to just keep records, or do you think i have to include details on the product description label?

Many thanks

Richard

You are entering a potential 'Minefield' Richard. Cutting and selling just venison is simple by comparison. You are now 'processing' which then means a whole host of rules and regs. Traceability is just part of it! A butcher will sell you pork fat for instance, but you will be effectively the final consumer unless he is willing to provide you with traceability records etc. I use packs of cooking bacon which has the EU traceability label on to overcome this problem. Your premises will also need to be fit for purpose and include things like knee operated hand wash facilities, no pets on the entire premises if I remember correctly, etc.
Best thing to do is ask your local council for advice and guidance but expect much 'sucking of teeth' and head shaking! :lol:
I looked into it myself but backed away as it all got a bit too complex!
I do keep things traceable though for my own peace of mind! ;)

MS

knee operated hand wash facilities

Are you sure?? I can perhaps understand "elbow operated hand wash facilities", but if they've got to be knee operated I can see all sorts of Health & Safety issues :eek: ;)

Seriously, thanks for the suggestion re: cooking bacon/EU labelling, I hadn't thought of that.

willie_gunn

MS

Mea Culpa!!! Having submitted my post I thought I'd then search for 'knee operated hand wash' and Google came up with over 540,000 results.

Note to self: Google first, then submit smart-a*se reply on SD website :oops:

willie_gunn

You'll require a venison dealers licence, from you local council to produce sell able produce ,your premises will have to be checked to receive the licence you'll have problems if your using your kitchen as a work area health and safety problems council tax implications as your working from home, etc the list goes on and on .

Oh yes the paper trail that follows is a pain in the hole

Phone the FSA they will put you in the picture
http://www.food.gov.uk/

widows son said:
You'll require a venison dealers licence, from you local council to produce sell able produce ,your premises will have to be checked to receive the licence you'll have problems if your using your kitchen as a work area health and safety problems council tax implications as your working from home, etc the list goes on and on .

Oh yes the paper trail that follows is a pain in the hole

Phone the FSA they will put you in the picture
http://www.food.gov.uk/

That's only applicable North of the border mate.
I assume by his user name he is well South of the border. We have similar regs but it is known as a 'Food Business Organisation', but again via the local council.
Regards,
MS :)

We sell sausages and burgers along with the primal cuts, steaks etc.
As has already been said you should register as a food business with the local authority, at which point the EHO should pay you a visit.
Depending on the EHO will then depend on where you go with regard to training etc.
We had to put a HACCP plan together, which is a legal requirement, however we also had to pay for the HACCP training.
There are a lot of people operating without Haccp plans and training which is ok until something goes wrong and in a lot of cases its not the food business whose been at fault!!
Its about tracability and following safe procedures/checks on a regular basis.

With my meat distribution and processsing system I have a stainless steel table, a hacksaw & a hatchet.
Bit of rope to hang em up in the barn, and a few foxes to dispose of the skins and byproducts .. :D
Always, always remember to wipe the blade on my overalls to make sure it is clean and hygenic same goes for the hatchet so I don't get blood on me sticks for the fire. :lol:

All in all a very smooth and eco friendly little operation 8)

So glad to see you are following Best Practice to the letter legaleagle69 :lol:

ATB

Max

To make sausages traceble: when the customer leaves the shop, just nail the end sausage to the counter.

Of course the range of tracebility will depend on how many yards of suasages they've bought, but you should at least be able to tell which way they went after they left your premises.

Thanks chaps, the EHO has contacted me and given advice.
He is also going to assist me with the HACCP.
The 'cooking bacon' solution looks like a winner, thanks for that.
Cheers
Richard

Back