Bunnie Combo ?

Barnett

Hi all , hope someone can give me some advice please .
Finally after 30 plus years of using various shotguns I have my FAC, :D.
It's going to be a long , expensive addiction I know but have lots of rabbit land first to be dealt with more effectively .
Tomorrow i'm after my first rimmie , have decided on a CZ452 .22 calibre with a resin stock and 16" barrel , that's the easy part .

My questions are which moderator to go for? the shop says he has a whisper one ??

Which scope ? i'm thinking a 3-9 X 40 ? make hmmm?

Plus would any one suggest a bi-pod on such a light gun ?

Sorry for all the questions , i'm a new boy to rifles , i'll have more as the calibres get bigger;)

You don't need to go fancy or expensive with a bunny gun.

SAK moderator will do perfectly, and a hawke 3-9 x 40 scope. Total cost not much over £50 and will do the job as well as you need.

Bipod is handy to have for longer shots but not critical. Much more useful is pair of stalking sticks - B&Q garden canes work well.

It's dangerously easy to be seduced into thinking you need all sorts of top end gear. For bunnying, you really do not. It is not a terribly subtle art...

+1 for the sak, pretty much all you hear is the striker hitting the cartridge then the thump as the bullet arrives.
Scope...buy the best you can afford, it'll save you changing later.
I would recommend some sort of telescopic tripod sticks, for example...

Telescopic,shooting sticks, hunting shooting stand,Gun rest,tripod stalking rest | eBay

Very very handy.
You can use them full length for a standing shot but I tend to use them full short (if you see what I mean) when I'm sitting.
Once you've tried it you'll be glad you spent the money.

Last edited:
Friend of mine had a sak and it was good. I have a cmm4 atec mod which i love. I agree with fraser on the scope. I had a nikko mount master at about 40 quid and it did just fine. I now have a nikon and the clarity is unreal but it did cost nearer 200. Im also with the stick brigade rather than bipod. I have a bipod but only use it for sighting in as i like to have a light rifle when walking after bunnies and most shoths are taken standing. The. 22 lr is a bit of a minx for ricochet so standing shots normally give a steeper angle of fire into the ground.

Just a note of warning. I believe some people have had issues with the cz synthetic stock braking around the front swivel stud when a bipod is used. I might be wrong on this though but its worth checking out

Regards pete

Friend of mine had a sak and it was good. I have a cmm4 atec mod which i love. I agree with fraser on the scope. I had a nikko mount master at about 40 quid and it did just fine. I now have a nikon and the clarity is unreal but it did cost nearer 200. Im also with the stick brigade rather than bipod. I have a bipod but only use it for sighting in as i like to have a light rifle when walking after bunnies and most shoths are taken standing. The. 22 lr is a bit of a minx for ricochet so standing shots normally give a steeper angle of fire into the ground.

Just a note of warning. I believe some people have had issues with the cz synthetic stock braking around the front swivel stud when a bipod is used. I might be wrong on this though but its worth checking out

Regards pete

I have the 452 in HMR,, feels safer to use than a 22.
sak mod, no need for the more expensive version thats proofed!
have a bipod but only use for sighting in
Scope, I use a mamba lite, but although good, it spoils a great light carrying gun
shop around for some spare 10 shot mags at under £20

Many thanks for all your advice , that's the bi-pod idea binned for me:),sticks it is , the sak mod seems the one to get , plus i'll invest in a decent scope .

oh yeah, spare mags , good idea.

Can't wait to spend my pennies now:lol:.

Hi all , hope someone can give me some advice please .
Finally after 30 plus years of using various shotguns I have my FAC, :D.
It's going to be a long , expensive addiction I know but have lots of rabbit land first to be dealt with more effectively .
Tomorrow i'm after my first rimmie , have decided on a CZ452 .22 calibre with a resin stock and 16" barrel , that's the easy part .

My questions are which moderator to go for? the shop says he has a whisper one ??

Which scope ? i'm thinking a 3-9 X 40 ? make hmmm?

Plus would any one suggest a bi-pod on such a light gun ?

Sorry for all the questions , i'm a new boy to rifles , i'll have more as the calibres get bigger;)

i have a .22 and 17hmr cz452 sillouttes with 16" barrels both have wildcat whispers nephew has a sak on his rimmi just as quiet as the wildcat tbh m8 cheers

By all means get a CZ 452 but get one in 17HMR, its a far more versatile cartridge then the 22LR and does not suffer from the dreaded 22LR ricochet.
The ammo does cost more but the extra performance justifies the price.
Oh, and the SAK mod works just as well with the HMR as it does with 22LR.

Ian.

I had a tripod set but found them fiddly to set up. The third leg always seemed in the way so i took it off. Friend have tried quad sticks and said they are good but im not sure it they are mobile enough for bunnies. Experiment in the back garden with bamboo canes tied together with string to see how differant combinations feel. Three and four leg will feel rock solid but trickier to set up quickly.

Good choice of rifle by the way. I have had three 452s all really reliable.

Why do people insist on suggesting people ditch the .22 in favour of an hmr?!
they are not comparable

ricochets can happen with anything, just choose your shots carefully as you would with any centrefire

quad sticks are useful for the longer shots but I find using trees, fences, gates or anything else to lean back Into that you can use twin sticks and be very stable

spare mags are very useful too
of all the items I rely on by far the most effective is a dimable lamp ideally with a filter and a cheap NV spotter

Why do people insist on suggesting people ditch the .22 in favour of an hmr?!
they are not comparable

Probably because plod thinks it's safer :) It makes me laugh too, I've just ditched my 17HMR for a 22LR. It's cheaper to feed (a 1/3 the cost of HMR), it's not ammo brand fussy, you can use subsonic ammo and for bunnies I've noticed no difference apart from the huge noise reduction. As for a mod on a 22LR I've got a scirocco as it blended in the heavy barrel on my CZ455.

just get the 452 in 22 or 17 , 22s a lot quieter niehbours etc, sak mod definatly they can be used on 22/17 and any half decent scope,at night a t20 torch from a decent source red or green led, a rucksack or gofer to pick bunnies up happy days, enjoy atb doug,

Yes.
Try taking your rifle off a two legged stick to change the magazine or fiddle with your scope or change seating position...it'll fall in the mud and leave you cursing.

Ha ha this sounds familiar but you soon learn to get round it. Im with bewsher on using twin sticks and then leaning your shoulder into someething solid. Most recently that solid thing has been my kitchen wall so i can shoot mice in the garden with the air rifle

I have to say I'm a fan of the 17hmr and the 22 but it very much depends on the terrain and conditions I'm shooting in. If the ground is soft or there are plenty of good back stops I'll take the 22 if not it's the HMR that will come out to play. Ricochet can happen with either caliber but with a ballistic tipped HMR round it is less likely and probably won't carry as far due to it being more deformed. There is a big difference in noise levels but I don't tend to find it makes a huge difference to the bunnies, they are just as likely to run towards you. I have Sak mods on both calibers and they do a good enough job.
There have been issues with the consistancy of HMR rounds reported but I've never had a problem myself.
I think the 22lr will be a good start to your collection then move up to a 17fireball and really have some fun. :D
Scope wise get the best glass you can afford it makes a huge difference in low light when rabbits are at their most active. With a good moon on a clear night I don't really have to use the lamp on top of my Sightron. But it is a the best part of a grand. For a nice little scope try MTC's range.

ATB. Hal.

Many thanks for all your advice , that's the bi-pod idea binned for me:),sticks it is , the sak mod seems the one to get , plus i'll invest in a decent scope .

oh yeah, spare mags , good idea.

Can't wait to spend my pennies now:lol:.
Can I mention a tip, when you do go out take a pair of bino's. Don't go useing your rifle and scope to scan the area for bunnies.....Enjoy. :thumb:

Back