Fishery Record Broken

An old thread but a goody. One of my fave reservoirs to fish. Superb. Had some great days there. But if you travel a tad off the beaten track you can catch(or try to catch) some of the most beautiful wild brownies in the country. Gods own country and all that.

Had my biggest Rainbow just off the cages on Clywedog Michelle, some years ago now fishing with Roy & Christine :thumb:

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
That's one hell of a fish there! The biggest I ever saw caught (Not by me) was a 23.5 pounder caught at Lechlade fishery on a black gold head buzzer some 15 years ago. Even though I did not catch it myself I had the pleasure of netting for the angler he didn't have a large enough net!
My personal best was a 12.5 pound "brownie" at Pennine Trout fishery!

Edit: The Brownie was returned safely as I was only on a "Sporting Ticket"!

Last edited:
Had my biggest Rainbow just off the cages on Clywedog Michelle, some years ago now fishing with Roy & Christine :thumb:

Cheers
Chris
Michelle was talking to Christine in town the other day as they both haven't fished for a few years now. There going to start again next season as Roy is up for retirement. Cheers Gary

That's one hell of a fish there! The biggest I ever saw caught (Not by me) was a 23.5 pounder caught at Lechlade fishery on a black gold head buzzer some 15 years ago. Even though I did not catch it myself I had the pleasure of netting for the angler he didn't have a large enough net!
My personal best was a 12.5 pound "brownie" at Pennine Trout fishery!

Edit: The Brownie was returned safely as I was only on a "Sporting Ticket"!
Without being sarcastic. Clywedog Reservoir is 615 acres so fishing on this upland reservoir is considerable different to fishing the small still waters of Lechlade and Pennine. But no doubt its great sport too fishing these Big Fish waters. ATB Gaz

Michelle was talking to Christine in town the other day as they both haven't fished for a few years now. There going to start again next season as Roy is up for retirement. Cheers Gary

Hi Gary

Yes I heard from Christine this morning, Roy's counting down the months, weeks, days & hours by all accounts, as soon as they start fishing again I will be over for a long weekend :thumb:

All the best

Chris

Without being sarcastic. Clywedog Reservoir is 615 acres so fishing on this upland reservoir is considerable different to fishing the small still waters of Lechlade and Pennine. But no doubt its great sport too fishing these Big Fish waters. ATB Gaz
I totally agree with you Gaz, it would be much more testing to fish "Big Waters" like those you mention as opposed to smaller still water fisheries. I would have loved to have fished a few of the "Big Waters" but the travelling would have been a bit much for me so I settled for what was local to me at the time - And thoroughly enjoyed it, especially as I never fished with a fly that I hadn't tied myself!

Hi Gary

Yes I heard from Christine this morning, Roy's counting down the months, weeks, days & hours by all accounts, as soon as they start fishing again I will be over for a long weekend :thumb:

All the best

Chris
Nice one Chris, surely be about the lake when your over, catch you then :lol:

Hi Gaz
out of interest was the fish killed or returned ?

Chill
The rainbow was taken Chill. Most of the big rainbows are taken by their captors, but it is very different with the big brownies as several have been returned providing they have enough energy to recover fully. You know the invite is always there just give me a shout. Cheers Gaz

2016 season has started with some great sport and quality fish. A cracking brown trout caught last weekend going 9LBS 02ozs. Tight Lines Gaz

The thing is, it's a lot to do with the qualities of Welsh water, I no longer fish, but remember fondly the Vyrnwy Grayling, of my youth.
As our fishery is an upland lake surrounded at the head waters by large forestation the water quality used to be very poor due to acid rain etc but many years ago now we had two lime dosing setups erected on two of the main inlet rivers which have PH sensor lime dosing silos. The water quality is now good and the insect life and fishing has followed suite. The grayling in the Upper Severn which this water enters have also benefited from the quality.

as a management member of my local fishery i thought some of you fishermen would be interested in the following post.
Llyn clywedog is a 415 acre upland lake in the heart of mid wales, 5 miles from the town of llanidloes. This is a fly only venue with miles of bank fishing and also offers 15 boats for hire.
On friday the fishery record was broken when an elderly gentleman weighed in a specimen rainbow trout, tipping the scale at25lbs 04ozs.
what a quality fish this was having grown on in the lake from approx. 1lbs to 2lbs. Don't know of any other trout in the country bettering that !!!

View attachment 40642

omg!

I'm off for a weeks fishing in Wales for the first time at a place called Garnffrwd. It's a small stillwater with rainbows as well as browns, really looking forward to it. Anyone been there, any tips?

I'm off for a weeks fishing in Wales for the first time at a place called Garnffrwd. It's a small stillwater with rainbows as well as browns, really looking forward to it. Anyone been there, any tips?
Its years since I fished this small Stillwater but have a mate that fishes it with his young son. Buzzers, small dries and CDC's have been catching well lately when there is a small ripple on. You should get the best up to date info at the lodge. Tight Lines Gaz

Back