338 win mag

jock

Hi guys im having a wee bit trouble with a howa 1500 338 win mag I am using 200grain bergers winchester new brass cci mag primers vit n160 74 grains I have two zeiss 6x24x56 diavara and iv tryed both on the rifle and am having trouble with them maxing out on elevation 75yards two inches low I have leupold rings and basses im getting the feeling its the rifle but the guy I bought it of says he fired a max of 300 rounds through it am I missing something ?? Please leave feedback if you can think of anything cheers

I had a similar problem with my savage, it turned out I was supplied the incorrect bases for my rifle. It might be worth checking the scope bases and mounts first.

Hi guys im having a wee bit trouble with a howa 1500 338 win mag I am using 200grain bergers winchester new brass cci mag primers vit n160 74 grains I have two zeiss 6x24x56 diavara and iv tryed both on the rifle and am having trouble with them maxing out on elevation 75yards two inches low I have leupold rings and basses im getting the feeling its the rifle but the guy I bought it of says he fired a max of 300 rounds through it am I missing something ?? Please leave feedback if you can think of anything cheers

I can't see how it would be the rifle Jock unless you have a bent barrel or the barrel isn't square in the receiver.
Highly unlikely that two scopes are faulty so the most probable cause has to be how the scope is mounted and aligned with the bore of the rifle, so the fault is most likely scope mount related to my way of thinking.

I would get a third eye tactical picatinny rail with 20moa and rings, should sort you out and stand up to the recoil fine

wrong bases and or rings

you do not need a 20MOA rail or anything tactical to solve an elevation problem at 75yds
(FYI your scope has +/- 30MOA vertical adjustment)

check the bases are correct, they are likely to have a taller one and a lower one or just the wrong ones

You should not have to use a rail or any mounts with built-in elevation. The scope probably has 25 MOA in each axis, plus and minus.
The Howa 1500 uses the same bases as a Rem 700, and the receivers on both are not level, front and rear. Do you think you possibly have the bases swapped?
You need a solid mounting, like the dual dovetails, on a rifle with as much recoil as a .338 WM.

If you can, zero the scope out, no elevation. Insert a laser bore sighter and put ithe rifle in a vise, like a cleaning cradle, aimed at a target 50 yards away. The laser should be below the crosshair aim point by about the spread between the center of the bore and the center of the scope above the bore.

Last edited:
wrong bases and or rings

you do not need a 20MOA rail or anything tactical to solve an elevation problem at 75yds
(FYI your scope has +/- 30MOA vertical adjustment)

check the bases are correct, they are likely to have a taller one and a lower one or just the wrong ones

Had the same problem with one of my rifles using Leupold mounts. Turned out that rear mount needed turning around. As the mounts can be fitted either way round. Worth a try....

Win Mod 70

hi guys had a gun smith look at the set up turned out to be the scope is done it was doing the same on other rifles also and zeiss refusing to rectifi the problem now in the hands of a lawyer its getting messy thanks for all the info cheers

Back