Travelling to Sri Lanka

sika No1

Morning,
I am travelling to Sri Lanka and was just wondering if anybody as ever done any hunting/fishing out there and if anybody could supply details of any outfitters or contacts to arrange a few days stalking it would be appreciated

Cheers

Hi sika, Was speaking to a Brother of a neighbour of mine a few weeks back. He has been a number of times and fly fishes for trout there. He said that he couldn't understand why more people don't know about it, as rivers are teeming with fish and there is no-one there.

Hi, I've been to Srilanka several times on business and pleasure. Each time i have dreamt about dropping a few water buffalo ( there's loads of them) but i was told that all sport hunting is banned by law. I did google this and it does seem to be true. Something to do with the troubles and a desire to restrict private firearms ownership. Closest I ever got was an invite to an area where there were loads of wild pigs. A bung to the local military commander secured a Kalashnikov for the day. The Tamil Tigers had mined the areas and unexploded ordnance was everywhere. I like my shooting but that was taking the p.

Forget hunting in SL, they are mostly Buddhist bunny huggers. For religious reasons and the reasons outlined above guns and hunting are pretty much prohibited - unless you are gunning for Tamils or advocates of free press, that seems fair game for the ruling junta.

I have spent a significant amount of time traveling around SL, and dreamt of hunting sambar or chitral (water buffalo would be dull and easy).

A poacher I met in Nuwara Eliya offered to take me out for deer, when he proudly showed me a photo of a leopard he'd shot I couldn't get out of his sleazy company quick enough . . . B@ST@RD

Brits introduced trout to upland areas, but I drew a blank fly fishing and would be keen to know the rivers where trout remain.

That said it is beautiful country, amazing wildlife, great for culture and history. And Curry 3 times a day :) a huge bonus. Beer is ok.

The diversity of fauna is staggering - wild elephants, bears, leopards and much much more - considering that SL is far more densely populated than the UK and how imporverished our fauna is.

Forget hunting in SL, they are mostly Buddhist bunny huggers. For religious reasons and the reasons outlined above guns and hunting are pretty much prohibited - unless you are gunning for Tamils or advocates of free press, that seems fair game for the ruling junta.

I have spent a significant amount of time traveling around SL, and dreamt of hunting sambar or chitral (water buffalo would be dull and easy).

A poacher I met in Nuwara Eliya offered to take me out for deer, when he proudly showed me a photo of a leopard he'd shot I couldn't get out of his sleazy company quick enough . . . B@ST@RD

Brits introduced trout to upland areas, but I drew a blank fly fishing and would be keen to know the rivers where trout remain.

That said it is beautiful country, amazing wildlife, great for culture and history. And Curry 3 times a day :) a huge bonus. Beer is ok.

The diversity of fauna is staggering - wild elephants, bears, leopards and much much more - considering that SL is far more densely populated than the UK and how imporverished our fauna is.

For a taste of how good the hunting used to be read the free e-book 'With Hound and Rifle in Ceylon' By Samuel Baker. There is some excellent passages of his elk coursing exploits with greyhounds. I would have loved to experience some of the hound hunts he describes as well.

Back