Feeding Red Stags

wildfowler1

If you feed Reds, do you find that the hinds move away,or do they get driven away from the feeding areas ?
We are considering feeding Reds in the glen bottom, there is a good mix of stags and hinds,but a neighbouring estate which feeds hard seems to have a dearth of hinds and calves.
Your experience's would be greatfully received.Wf1

Hinds don't normally come to the feeding area, being less forward than stags, however there is normally no need to feed hinds, presuming its wild deer you are talking of, feeding stags through the winter when they are in their worst condition following the rut helps.

Feed them through into spring until there is new growth for them up here that could be until May.

Found it easy to know when to stop as less and less of them would turn up to be fed as natural food became more plentiful

I am talking of wild deer in a Highland invironment, I have no experience of park deer, and I am not sure that supplementary feeding would be necessary in wild lowland reds.

Last edited:
Bogtrotters spot on I find when new growth comes through they will ignore any supplementary food infact I caught one the other day on a camera ignore a drainage pipe feeder which they used to hammer to bark strip a willow nxt to it.

Bogtrotters spot on I find when new growth comes through they will ignore any supplementary food infact I caught one the other day on a camera ignore a drainage pipe feeder which they used to hammer to bark strip a willow nxt to it.

That another one needing replanting lol

Moose

In the glen where I live, the deer are provided with fixed feeding stations & in addition the stalkers / keepers feed nuts from vehicles whilst driving away, This draws the greedy & agressive stags away from the feeding stations - this gives the hinds a fair crack at the fodder.

Ian

Thanks guys great imformation thats what makes this site so good ask a sensible question and the font of Knowledge comes flowing in.
Got my answer.Wf1

Back