Thread: Tikka t3 270 moderator recommendations

Tikka t3 270 moderator recommendations

Hi guys, I have just purchased a new Tikka t3 (sporter weight barrel)
    in 270 cal, I have yet to fire it and I am looking for a new moderator to put on it, I have also ordered a new Limbsaver recoil pad for it in order to curb the felt recoil a bit. I am looking for a relatively small moderator which will help cut down on recoil as well as sound.

I already have a sako 85 in 243 cal fitted with an ASE UTRA SL5 and like this mod a lot , I am wondering if another SL5 mod would be adequate or if maybe the ASE jet Z might be more effective on recoil given the 270's reputation as being a hard kicker in a light weight rifle.

I would welcome your views and any other recommendations you might have.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by paultap; 16-04-2014 at 03:54.

I guess a heavy mod (like a northstar or a t8 etc) would help with the muzzle flip, but thy kind of defeats the object in getting a light weight rifle.

The Jet Z Compact is a very effective and well made moderator. If you want to see any real reduction in muzzle flip and recoil then you will have to go with either a big and/or heavy mod. Personally I would go with the Jet z over an ugly monstrosity like a T8 but they still carry some weight.

I will be trying an ATec Maxim on a new rifle soon. I don't expect it will be as tough as the JetZ but hopefully being lightweight will make up for it.

Ive just swapped from a wildcat to a ase jet z std ( not short ) and its so much better its slim , lighter and to me it seems quieter its also none stripable which is what i wanted as i used to find i get parts of the wildcat come loose regular

get an ase you wont regret it i dont think

Have to agree with the above recommendation for the ASE Jet Z.
    I have a .30 cal one on my Tikka T3 .270 and it is excellent, yes its heavier than some out there but the compactness & performance are well worth it.
    I also have the jet-z .25 cal on my .243 and the smaller CQB on my .222, all are excellent mods and im glad I stuck with ASE after trying a few others.

I've got a jet Z on my 270 steyr mannlicher ,it handles better then my sako a11 243 with a wildcat on it. Go with the jet z

+1 for Jet z.
    Solid, reliable and no stripping required.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

An Aetec Maxim with two extra baffles suits me and my .270 fine !
    Very light and performs well.
    Also use the same (minus the two baffles) on my .223.
    Last edited by Blackrider; 17-04-2014 at 16:54.

The atec is a great moderator light and cuts out a lot of recoil on the 270,its a wee bit louder than the t8 but a lot lighter.bit pricey though you only get what you pay for.good luck on your choice