Hearthstane

novice

Has anyone ever stalked sika on this estate in the Scottish Borders?

If so, willing to share any tips on what to expect and tactics for approaching the stalking?

4 of us are up there in a couple of weeks on the hinds.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want your surefire sika bagging tip made public :lol:

Novice

Novice
One of our stalking syndicate lives on the edge of the estate. before Christmas he was working on his yard on a vehicle stopped work looked on to the estate to see 4 hinds watching what he was doing.

Hi Novice, a friend and i go fairly often and love it :) (going this weekend) Dougie has a great knowledge of the place and will keep you right. Fittness is a high priority as the ground is steep,it holds a good population of deer and would be surprised if you fail to see any,we tend to find a view point and sit for 15 or 20 mins,useing this method we rarely fail ,there are also plenty of boxes to sit in.
A good dog wont go wrong,as it is mostly canopy and the deer are never far from the trees if they go on a dead run.
Have fun and let us know how you get on.

Nell

Steven Wade of Woodmill Shootings leases the entire stag season. Had two days on there at the beginning of October.

Always saw deer and bloody steep rides. Estate cottage was nice.

Definitely a place I want to go back to.

Stan

Novice, you will have a good time, Dougie knows his ground intemitly and you wont believe the signs on the ground.
There is alot of steep ground but its worth getting out onto the tops.
Also the sika are as wild as the hills there on,definite sense of acheivement when you connect.
Been going to the stags and hinds every year for the past four.
Let us know how you get on.

Moose

You wont be disappointed, Dougie is a great guide and there are loads of sika. I have been going for a few years also and you always see deer.

nell said:
Hi Novice, a friend and i go fairly often and love it :) (going this weekend) Dougie has a great knowledge of the place and will keep you right. Fittness is a high priority as the ground is steep,it holds a good population of deer and would be surprised if you fail to see any,we tend to find a view point and sit for 15 or 20 mins,useing this method we rarely fail ,there are also plenty of boxes to sit in.
A good dog wont go wrong,as it is mostly canopy and the deer are never far from the trees if they go on a dead run.
Have fun and let us know how you get on.

Nell

How did you get on Nell?

Heading up there a week today. Looking forward to to whole experience!

Novice

Hi Novice,we went up last sunday, but weather was crap,saw plenty of deer , but noisy snow made it impossible to get within range.
We managed four deer, they have lost a fair bit of condition since our last visit, which is understandable as the snow in places was fence post depth.
Sure you will enjoy yourself, look forward to reading your report :) :)

IMG_1267.jpg

nell

Your in big trouble with the safety shirt lifters nell displaying your rifle in the unsafe mode,lol.
But to those that can accept common sense realise its closed bolt over an empty chamber ;)
Oh and the last time i seen a pile of Deer like that was on Our Ian`s ground down Woburn,lol.

Sooty said:
Your in big trouble with the safety shirt lifters nell displaying your rifle in the unsafe mode,lol.
But to those that can accept common sense realise its closed bolt over an empty chamber ;)
Oh and the last time i seen a pile of Deer like that was on Our Ian`s ground down Woburn,lol.

Sooty, thats not me its Beattie 16, i did tell him about his bolt,but i just got abuse :lol: we both knew his rifle was safe..

His damp appearance was not due to the weather,but sweat brought on by dragging his deer off the hill throgh 2 foot of snow :lol: recons he's fit :lol: made of wax :lol:

Nell

Sooty said:
I guess you must be speaking "tongue in cheek" then, or did you make a freudian slip? ...........& by the way, KY we keep for pleasurable occasions, for all others.... :!:

It's strange that the closed bolt for posers debate continues, yet a video of a CWD being shot with a VERY suspect looking backstop only gathers praise :lol:
Nell

Nell
I take it you were there to access the safety of the shot?????

Like the three of us with more than 50 years experience between us :evil:

WD

Sorry mate, not want a bitching contest :(

Just looked like a sky liner with a wood behind,will have another look :)

Nell

Back