which calibre

swarovski

Still havent made my mind up on what cal to go for, currently a 308, its,remy short action, aics stock, need it for out to 1000yds,I am thinking 6.5 creedmoor at the mo but that could change, your thoughts and experiences please.regards swaro

At the moment I have a 6.5 swede and a 30-06. Both my rifles predominantly used for deer stalking although with the set ups I've got there no reason to punch paper out to long distances. I had a variation done, changing from 308 to 30-06. The 06 just offers a little more performace and heavier bullet weights if you want.

Still havent made my mind up on what cal to go for, currently a 308, its,remy short action, aics stock, need it for out to 1000yds,I am thinking 6.5 creedmoor at the mo but that could change, your thoughts and experiences please.regards swaro

Any of the current trendy 6.5's would serve you well , my choice is the 260rem with 140g bullets but if your happy with a little less velocity and it is only a small difference then creedmoor will serve you well as would 6.5/47 ? I don't know if the creedmoor works with the aics mags but 260 and 47 do

Yeh, one of the 6.5's would do you very well with the likes of the 140 AMax's with their high BC's.

Id probably go for a 6.5x47 or maybe a .260 rem, the 6.5x55 would also be a good option as well.
You won't go wrong with any of the above.

Steve.

if you really want out to 1000yds performance on a short action, while a 6.5mm will work, I would look at one of the 7mm short magnums which would let you use the 180gr berger hybrid or possibly a 300 WSM

Is the 7mm short and 300 short to much for 200 mcqueens then, what's barrel life on these 2 cals mentioned, what about barrel twist, case availability etc

well barrel life is going to be much shorter than a 6.5 Lapua, especially as you'll be getting the barrel pretty hot in McQueen's. Perhaps if its more multi-discipline and multi-range than just long range, a 6.5x47 Lapua throated for 139/140gr bullets would be a better bet...

The 47 seems to be very fashionable at the mo, not sure if they lack in umph compared to a 260 or a 6.5 creedmoor for a 1000yds, will have another look.

The 47 seems to be very fashionable at the mo, not sure if they lack in umph compared to a 260 or a 6.5 creedmoor for a 1000yds, will have another look.

The 47 certainly can shoot ! But as you say the others are better with 140g bullets .

imho the 47 seems at it's best with 123g bullets ? (Still slippery and 1000yard capable)

So say the 47 was designed for the 130 grainers which means expensive berger ammo, I don't dislike the 47, I did read somewhere the 123 grainers only drift 5 inches more than 140 grainer, trouble is bigger the choice harder to choose

Back