140gr berger hybrids

swarovski

Ive loaded and shot maybe 20 using 2 different powders in my 6.5 06, they were loaded to 3,340 oal which is not many fow shy of mag length, I guess I can only go shorter, so say due to 2 different bullet designs the hybrids should be easy to load for not being jump fussy, dont really want too lessen powder charge coz ive got them running around 2860fps where I want them, seating deeper may give me extra velocity with extra pressures, there is only so much barrel life I am prepared too waste as ive got a demon 1000yd load with 142gr smks, it was a matter of fancy trying them as ive not tried berger before, since ive tried the 130gr vld hunting and they shot a 1 hole group on the second group :eek:, a very small 1 holer at that :D

Last edited:
If I got my 308 rebarrelled into a 6.5 cal spud I may have but have enough 6.5 heads in stock to last my 6.5 06 barrel I would of thought, thanks for the offer mate, atb swaro

I was at the range today with my retired sheriff friend . I had my 6.5-06 there and he had his Savage Model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor . We were both shooting the Berger 130 VLD Match Hunting bullet . I was getting pleasing 3 shot groups at 100 yards and he was getting even more pleasing 5 shot groups . I shot one group with his rifle and had 4 in a nice little round hole with a flyer about a 1/4" out . Just so hapens the flyer was my first shot !

I am thinking I REALLY WANT a heavy barrel 6.5 Creedmoor , 260 REM or 6.5x47 Lapua just to shoot at 100 and 200 yards from the bench .

OBTW , my friend has a Leupold VX3 8.5-25x50AO 30 mm tube with the Varmint Hunter reticle . I really liked that scope for shooting paper . I'd love to try the Leupold VX6 4-24 and 7-42 to see how I can do with them as well .

I had wanted a VX6 7-42 to go on the 26 Nosler when I get it built . But now I'm thinking the VX6 3-18 will be more then enough for what I wish to do with the rifle in the field .

Last edited:
The positive comments on the creedmoor do help my cause :D

Yes 100/200 yard paper punchers are great !

In the past I've been hung up on the 222 REM for that purpose . Now I'm thinking 6.5 Creedmoor . The main question is whether to get one of these ready made Savage 12 LRP rifles or building one on a nice old 700 short action .

I just wish one of what are considered the HIGH QUALITY brass makers made brass for the 6.5 CM . I don't think Hornady makes bad brass but on the other hand I do not put it int he same class with Nosler/Lapua/Norma .

When i had my 6.5-55 Improved built i tried the 140 Berger hunting VLD and they shot very well , worked a load up touching the lands for the long range playing and the same load backed off 30 thou to fit magazine length for hunting!!
I tried the 123 A-max a couple months later and never looked back!!:D

The vlds are different to hybrids, I couldnt believe it myself when I tried the 130gr vlds,2 touching and other close being sub half inch,2nd group a small one holer, got a few hybrids still loaded, will shorten 10 fow and try again

The vlds are different to hybrids, I couldnt believe it myself when I tried the 130gr vlds,2 touching and other close being sub half inch,2nd group a small one holer, got a few hybrids still loaded, will shorten 10 fow and try again
Be interesting to hear how you get on!!
I have shot VLDs and LTBs and have found them to shoot very well..
But when testing against other bullets , i still ended up using A-maxs because i have found that shot well at long range too!!!
Was going to try the 168 Bergers in my 280 Ackley but the way the 162 A-max have been shooting i see no need to change yet ( just hope Hornady starts making them again in the near future )...

I tend to experiment too much, my 142gr smk sat on 48grs of n160 are awesome, I think you need alternatives just incase really like it is at the mo, haven't got enough n160 to load all the 142gr smks ive got, none came in on last shipment

Grass was too long to shoot prone off a rear sandbag so I had no choice but to shoot off the bonnet of my car with a front sandbag under the butt, ive been steadier,1st shot was on a clean barrel on the right, stacked the 3 others, didnt chrony so no fps, these I shortened 20 fow , maybe werf one more tryView attachment 40955

:D 100yds :eek:, Ive been waiting for the comedians :rofl: But redmist you would of been the last person I expected too, this is ammo testing, i can post some one holers if you havent seen any before :D

Grass was too long to shoot prone off a rear sandbag so I had no choice but to shoot off the bonnet of my car with a front sandbag under the butt, ive been steadier,1st shot was on a clean barrel on the right, stacked the 3 others, didnt chrony so no fps, these I shortened 20 fow , maybe werf one more tryView attachment 40955
Thanks for the update ...
May i ask if you have you tried the A-max in your 6.5-06??

Back