AIHA in dogs

jordang

My spaniel has just been diagnosed with this, I wondered if any of you have had experience of it? I'm hopeful his long term outlook is positive but I've not come across it before.

Do you mean AutoImmune Haemolytic Anaemia? If so, my sympathies as I'm afraid I've had little long term success with the cases I've seen. Initial steroids with a plan for splenectomy at a letter date. I think other chemo drugs can be used but I've no experience.

hi jordang. I had a 12 month spaniel bitch (mona) who sufferd with the same . she was diagnosed with injesting rat poisen at first then the blood test showed AIHA. she came good for about 6 weeks but then she started to bleed and there was nothing that could be done she passed away in the vets after a blood transfusion. from what I could gather from the vets its a very difficult thing to diagnose and treat .it cost me a small fortune when there was very little hope. all the best

These cases can be difficult, but I have had some successes. I think the ones that do well often have a specific cause. Spleen removal can be helpful. Some dogs need steroids for life.

I've known a couple of spaniels (over-represented breeds) go back to work.

Best of luck.

I have two border terrier bitches and one of them developed the illness when she was 3.She is 8 on May 1st.
She is on medication every 3rd day and I think she is reasonably healthy,she will walk for miles but she gets tired if shes off the lead and runs about to much.
She was really very ill and the vet told us she probably would not survive.She is well cared for and has survivied and I hope for a few years yet.Her twin has not succumbed to the illness.
I hope your spaniel is ok

I just thought that I would update you all with this.

After alot of time and significant financial cost (that doesnt really matter if I'm honest) Harley has been removed from all medication and appears to have made a really good recovery!!! He's put on alot of weight from the steroids and his working days are numbered but he is still a happy, excitable spaniel and should be able to live the rest of his years sat in front of the fire.

20150525_145741.jpg
I just thought that I would update you all with this.

After alot of time and significant financial cost (that doesnt really matter if I'm honest) Harley has been removed from all medication and appears to have made a really good recovery!!! He's put on alot of weight from the steroids and his working days are numbered but he is still a happy, excitable spaniel and should be able to live the rest of his years sat in front of the fire.

That's great new,Mollie the border still on medication but small dose and she is doing well.She will be 10 in May.
Vet reluctant to cease medication fully so we are guided by her .Good luck
Here she is sitting on my knee as usual

Last edited:
Back