Bait for bird hunting

Hey guys, I'm doing a bit of shooting in my garden at the moment as it's such a nice day, what bait can I use to lure the birds out? Crows, pigeons, etc. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 121
Hey guys, I'm doing a bit of shooting in my garden at the moment as it's such a nice day, what bait can I use to lure the birds out? Crows, pigeons, etc. Thanks.

I am not sure whether putting food out specifically so that you can shoot birds under general license is permitted, best to check with someone like BASC or NGO first.

atb Tim

I'm with Tim.
Buy yourself some decoys; personally I find the notion of 'baiting' birds abhorrent; can't be 'rsed to read up and give a de-facto answer but pretty sure it is illegal under General Licence to bait, which is why I do not. Of course you may well be protecting crops or wildlife in your garden, but probably not loaves of bread.
See nothing wrong with a baited rabbit carcass or decoys in fields you have permission on, but baiting in your own garden does not feel particularly sporting or in the spirit of hunting.

I found this, which I thought was interesting.

The key point, as others have said, is whether the birds in question are causing or are likely to cause damage of the kinds identified by the W&C Act.

If they aren't, you shouldn't have them in your sights, no matter how you got them there!

I have had a look at all of your posts and the majority of them seem intent on baiting etc. I am not sure you have the correct attitude with regard to your shooting and request that any further posting you do is more in keeping with the core intentions of this site as opposed to killing. You will find that people who control pests on here do so in order to help farmers and the like where rabbits, crows and foxes are a recognised pest, whereas to me you tend to treat them as a target that bleeds.

John

I have had a look at all of your posts and the majority of them seem intent on baiting etc. I am not sure you have the correct attitude with regard to your shooting and request that any further posting you do is more in keeping with the core intentions of this site as opposed to killing. You will find that people who control pests on here do so in order to help farmers and the like where rabbits, crows and foxes are a recognised pest, whereas to me you tend to treat them as a target that bleeds.

John
Sorry I forgot to mention, the crows have been a pest in my garden, so have foxes, rarely but still a pain.

Sorry I forgot to mention, the crows have been a pest in my garden, so have foxes, rarely but still a pain.

Merely being a pest is not enough otherwise we would have an open season on half the scrotes in the local town. :lol:
As the others have said you really need to understand the law as regards the general licence in your country and BASC and the NGO is the place to look.

Come on pull the other one, you've been sussed out. Take a little time and peruse the world wide web and have a look at the ethics and ethos of the majority of the shooting fraternity within the UK and you'll soon see post like your opening post here are out of kilter.

From your post I recon you are one of two characters: a fool with an airgun and a blood thirsty lust or a complete tool, which is it? I'm hoping you'll prove me wrong but you remind me of news articles case filing how a specific adolesant lived prior to... well let's not go there.

I think enough has been said and you need to go away read the relevant law and consider your reasons for shooting, it may just be that paper targets would suit you better.

John

Come on pull the other one, you've been sussed out. Take a little time and peruse the world wide web and have a look at the ethics and ethos of the majority of the shooting fraternity within the UK and you'll soon see post like your opening post here are out of kilter.

From your post I recon you are one of two characters: a fool with an airgun and a blood thirsty lust or a complete tool, which is it? I'm hoping you'll prove me wrong but you remind me of news articles case filing how a specific adolesant lived prior to... well let's not go there.

Someone else who shares my views! This guy cannot be for real, it stinks. I suspect you've hit the nail on the head.

Back