Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: inconsistent 308

inconsistent 308

hi all.

i have been out this morning trying some home loads. i can get 1 inch to 1.5 inch three shot groups at 100 yards. next three shot group was more like four inches. can then go back to 1 inch then 2 - 3 inch.

some info

parker hale 1100lwt 308
    pecar hale 6 x 45
    rws brass
    cci primer
    44 gn of vit 150
    165 gn sierra game king

i would like to sight in inch high at 100 yards but am struggling to find a target thats clear at that distance. the scope is really clear but the target looks very small and its difficult to pin point where to aim.

any ideas welcome

regards pete

If you PM me an e-mail address, I can send you some Excel based targets like the attached with was shot with 6 x 42 scope.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 308 Win.pdf  

Have you tried the targets that are downloadable from the home page of the Stalking Directory?

Are you allowing time for the barrel to cool off after three rounds have been fired?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

thank you. i tried a couple of targets this morning. one very much like the above. centre triangle is 2 inches outer 4 inch. and one with an inch clear centre circle and black squares at 2 4 7 and 10 o clock. the triangular one was easiest to use. especially when aiming between the points of the triangles. but it all seems to much like guess work. its an old rifle and scope with a pretty thick reticle and i dont expect clover leaf groups but consistent groups i would like. i am willing to be told to practice more but just wonder if im missing something

i tried allowing the barrel and mod to cool. had my daughter hammering a target with a 22 then went back to the 308. second to last 3 shot group was awful. went straight to the last three shots with a warm barrel and mod and grouped 1.5 inch.

should i try some factory ammo to see if its my home loads.

i have now run out of powder and am low on heads so am also wondering about using 150 gn instead of 160s. do you guys think 15 gns would make that much differance

Have you had the rifle a long time? If so, how did it shoot with factory ammo before you decided to reload. There is certainly nothing wrong with Parker Hales - most of us er....mature shooters have probably had one/still have one, but having said that, like everything mechanical they can wear out and niggly things like the wood starting to jar against the barrel.

Regarding 150 gr heads, I have just developed a friends 308 using 150 gr Nosler Accubonds and Varget and it does shoot beautifully.
    Last edited by PeterH; 19-04-2014 at 23:38.

There are a couple of things you can check.

Are the screws holding the action to stock tightened properly?

Are the scope and base mounts correctly tightened?

Can you slide a sheet of folded paper between the barrel and fore end stock all the way to the front of the receiver/action both when cold and especially after the rifle has been fired?
    If not, check where any interference is.

Are you interfering with the barrel by having a finger, thumb or rest touching it when you shoot? (Think of the barrel as a tuning fork – it needs to vibrate the same every time)

Are you holding the rifle and looking through the scope the same way every time?
    (Heat from the barrel particularly on a sunny warm day will generate a haze in front of the scope. Unhelpful when lining up on a small target)

Does the bolt close down on your loaded round the same way each time?

The list of things to check can go on but if the above seems fine then you probably need to look at the ammunition you make and how much care you take over brass prep. and your consistency over bullet seating etc.
    Last edited by deeangeo; 20-04-2014 at 07:18.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Thanks for all the replies so far. I have had the rifle for about 4 years but probably only get through 50 rounds a year tops. It was ok with factory ammo but groups orginally improved with home loads. This last batch of ammo i am using once fired rws brass. (Fired in different rifle). They do seem more difficult to feed and close the bolt. But no marks on the bullet from the rifling and no signs of pressure.
    I have had the action from the stock to adjsut the trigger which is now much better. It has not got a floating barrel and was made that way. From previous threads where people have tried to float these rifles and made things worse i wont be doing that.
    I shoot off of a bag not bipod and make sure i dont touch the barrel.
    I originally used winchester brass but the necks brass thickness is thin and when loading for then second time some heads just pushed straight into the case.

"I originally used winchester brass but the necks brass thickness is thin and when loading for then second time some heads just pushed straight into the case."

That sounds more like a problem with dies not adjusted properly rather than the cases being at fault.

No disrespects to either your shooting or reloading ability but why not try to isolate the problem by starting from a different perspective.
    1. Try another experienced shooter using factory ammo or ammo of known quality.
    2. Try an experienced shooter using your reloads.
    3. Shoot it yourself using ammo of known quality.
    4. Shoot it without the moderator.

As it is lightweight barrel shoot only 3 shot groups and allow 5 minutes between groups. All this after thoroughly checking over the rifle and scope as others have mentioned. You might also like to try another scope on it , one that is known not to have any problems and use a target that is actually large enough to see. Don't go adjusting the scope between shots just shoot the same point of aim for each shot. Make sure the barrel is clear of any copper fouling before you start.
    Last edited by 8x57; 20-04-2014 at 08:02.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.