problem (electrical?) with quad...... ?

daven

Sure some of you have to be a little mechanically inclined.... So.... Havin a problem with the quad and think I know the answer but need some second opinions before I start diggin and spend a bunch of money/time...
Battery is dead (pretty much shot) to the point that when running the lights or nothing works... Spark is small/weak when jumped and running the starter and it won't start even with ether.....
It will start with no jumper battery with the rope (with ether) and can run it all over with throttle but it won't idle. Have to give a little throttle and ether even when warm and it starts right up, just won't idle.....Can harrow the pasture and joy ride after it starts...
I'm thinking (hoping) that battery is just sucking any life out of the spark and not letting it start/idle without help. New battery is expensive for this thing and would be a waste if not the problem.
Can't think of it being anything else tho... Any thoughts/tips appreciated....

most engines need to have a charging system above 12v so if your battery is ****'d then you won't be running very well change that first then check with a multimetre what output the electrical system is putting out, atb wayne

engines and stators that are designed to run with the battery charging over 12v anything less it wont run properly and will cause damage to other component parts,change battery and use a trickle charger to keep it topped up when not in use, atb wayne

if you put a volt meter across the battery terminals with the engine running you should have around 13.8 volts if the alternator is working .if you try and run with the battery disconnected you will damage the rectifer as said in previous post

Batteries aren't cheap but it's easy enough to check if they're duff. As has been said, check the battery and, guessing it's that, buy a new good quality one. I'd also buy a trickle charger, the type that you can connect and forget, especially if the quad doesn't get used at certain times of the year for long periods. Look in the nearest motorbike place, or on the internet for an Optimate or something similar. That'll keep the battery tip top and ready to go, even after months.

Just disconnect the battery BUT connect (jump leads) another battery (from your car or something) onto it just to see if it is.
Sounds very much like it is though....

Back