venison mincing problems

nicholiath

Butchered a lovely fresh roe buck as soon as it cooled as I can't keep it chilled anywhere. Beautiful meat but when mincing with decent ex butchers electric mincer it was more mush than mince! Is this because it was so fresh? And not been allowed to 'set'?
I have put the mincing off cuts in the fridge overnight to see if it improves.

I had this

comes out like its partially blocked and like you say mush

I didn't realise that the mincing plate and cutter are actually matched to one another after x amount of use..... id put the mincing plate in the other way round form usual and it did this!!
take out remove any stuff caught on the spindle & cutter , turn mincing plate around and try again ... that cured mine ive marked the face of the plate a wee bit so I know which way round to put it in.

hopefully just this

a'the best
paul

Butchered a lovely fresh roe buck as soon as it cooled as I can't keep it chilled anywhere. Beautiful meat but when mincing with decent ex butchers electric mincer it was more mush than mince! Is this because it was so fresh? And not been allowed to 'set'?

The blades on the mincer could be blunt causing it to come out like mush

It could be the above, in my experience it minces better when cold, see how you get on after you tried it in the fridge.
Cheers
Richard

Couple of years ago I had to freeze a load before mincing so when I defrosted it some was still a bit frozen and it minced better than anything before. Also if the meat is dry it can come out mushy almost like the internals needed a coating of grease but a bit of blood soom does the trick.

as others have already said but the other thing to look at is try a courser plate too fine can give it mushed mince, atb wayne

Place in freezer to partially frozen. I always sharpen my blade every couple of usages.
Also try putting the meat through slower as can be to much blocking it up kind of.

Place in freezer to partially frozen. I always sharpen my blade every couple of usages.
Also try putting the meat through slower as can be to much blocking it up kind of.

If blades are sharp
it could be the fact it was so fresh and still full of blood/fluid
I find this with young animals if I don't hang it for a few days

if it starts to mush up when I begin mincing
I bang it in the freezer for a few hours till semi frozen
then mince it
seems to work for me

Thanks chaps its going to be in the fridge for a couple more days while I wait for a burger mix to arrive. I think I will partially freeze prior to mixing though

I have had this problem, make sure your locking collar is really tight by knocking it round with a rubber mallet, make sure you do this away from the meat as sometimes fragments of the mallet come off .

Lots of good advice. I've also found that in the George Foreman mincer I use the size of the meat is important too. If the chunks are too big they just get squished in the corkscrew mechanism, turn to much, and won't push out through the plate. Don't force feed it, let the mincer work at it's own pace. I love venison mince, we use it for lasagne, home made burgers (no bought mix neeeded), nachos etc.
Cheers,
Hayden

I have had this problem, make sure your locking collar is really tight by knocking it round with a rubber mallet, make sure you do this away from the meat as sometimes fragments of the mallet come off .
this is most likely the problem make sure the locking nut is properly tight but don't hit it just grip it with a t towel,
par freezing is ok but not necessary if mincer is put back together correctly

colin

Back