A-tec cmm-4

paultap

Hi guys, I am just about to buy a new mod for an as yet unfired Tikka T3 lite in 270 cal. I had pretty much narrowed my choice down to an ASE UTRA SL5 or a jet Z ( thanks for the replies to a previous thread by the way) the mods weigh in at about 14oz and 18 oz respectively. The Rifle will be used primarily for stalking with the exception of the odd zeroing session.

I am now wondering if the much lighter weight A-TEC CMM-4 would do the job sufficiently well at about half the weight! I know that 270 is perceived to have stout recoil and muzzle blast and I wondered if the A-TEC would be noticeably down on noise and recoil reduction in comparison to either ASE mods.

I would welcome you comments.

Many thanks.

it will be louder than the above mentioned Paul.

and as for recoil you will not notice its there from firing the rifle without one on,:eek: on a 270 that is.

i went to a roedale on my 6mmbr as it has very little recoil and as the barrel is 24" i wanted a lighter mod,and did not fancy a over barrel one, so i had to sacrifice a few things to have a lighter mod that will be louder and not as long lasting as the real mc coy.

sl5 for me all day long if my barrel was about 4" shorter.

bob.

Last edited:
My mate has the atec cmm 4 on his .270, it is an absolute joy to carry whilst stalking and is relatively quiet ( obviously not as quiet as the T8's or larger moderators) you won't be disappointed if you purchase one. ATB Rich.

There's a secondhand CMM-4 for sale on here, barely used by all accounts.

As an alternative, I have a CMM-6 also for sale that weighs in at 17oz/480g

I was using a hardy gen 4 on a 30-06 today, t3 varmint, joy to use and carry. Im having one on my new 26" tactical rifle. Only 80mm overhang. Maxim is a good option on a stalker, pretty light and steel in all the right places.

Got one on my shortened .308 which has made it a lovely balanced, very handy woodland rifle. I have been using a maxim which I'm very happy with but although very light still twice the weight of the cmm4. All I will say is keep your old can for range sessions or testing ammo loads as on my .22/250 I have fired 27 rounds and gas cutting has already started on a couple of the sections. I would think the worst section will only be good for 200 rounds. I have heard they can be sent back to Jacksons and replaced for £16 each. I'm yet to get this direct from them though. Lovely light mod which does protect hearing and reduce recoil compared to un-moderated. Just don't expect it to last a life time.

My mate has the atec cmm 4 on his .270, it is an absolute joy to carry whilst stalking and is relatively quiet ( obviously not as quiet as the T8's or larger moderators) you won't be disappointed if you purchase one. ATB Rich.

+1, great mod, but my 20 inch barreled 270 rattles the sections of the cmm4 loose. You will have make sure it is tight. Copper grease helps. I would look at other offerings next time.

I think you'll find the A-Tec CMM4 would be ideal for a .270 particularly if it is for stalking as opposed to range work.
What thread do you have at the moment as I have one 'as new' for sale with a 14 x 1 thread.

Thanks for the replies guys, with the A- TEC it seems like the recoil reduction and noise reduction would very possibly be less , with probable gas cutting of the baffles over extended use, the big plus of course is the very light weight. I am leaning towards the ASE SL5 again!

Many thanks for all the replies .

Thats quite a random quote Bob, i dont understand the context it was made?

Gary, you have to be Scottish to understand half of what he says/writes -ye ken wat ah mean jimmy !!
I've seen a few used on various calibres up to 30-06 and when you weigh up the size and weight against some of the others the small difference in loss of attenuation isn't worth the aggro.
Having actually owned and used a variety of calibres over the years, admittedly most before the proliferation of moderators, but I can still remember the various thumps in the shoulder, being younger and smaller then ;) so have tuned all my experience and settled for what I have now.

Last edited:
HI GARY IT WAS ALL MEaNT AS A BIT OF FUN SIR,

View attachment 40960.......PLAY ANOTHER TUNE

love it,..................REVESRSE /OPPOSITE MEANING............ I DON'T LIKE THE MOD THAT MUCH

more money than sense. :).......................................Hardy gen cost as much as a second hand rifle

bob.

I'd still like to know what he meant......

hope that helps. as said a bit of fun.

bob.

Back