poaching with rimfires

berg

poacher.jpgIMG_20140421_200006.jpgWent out to a bit of land that I shoot after a buck I had seen the other week After getting a bit wet the rain stopped and out came the roe I dropped the buck as planed .All thing where good until I went and done a few checks as I do, when I got to the back side there seem to be a puss filled hole so I hung it up and got the gralloch over, all things fine there. when I started to cut the what I though was a abcess i felt the knife touch something metal like, and there it was the good old 17HMR remains the problem is that this is the second one from that area 2 months ago I shot a Muntjac which had it's face blown off .that buck must off been in some pain there was so much puss ,poor thing what can I do. I might go and nock on some neighbouring farm doors a let them know what I have found ,it's probably a over ambitious rabbit shooter who doesn't give a f**k about what he is shooting at ? I will put some pitchers up

Last edited:
Went out to a bit of land that I shoot after a buck I had seen the other week After getting a bit wet the rain stopped and out came the roe I dropped the buck as planed .All thing where good until I went and done a few checks as I do, when I got to the back side there seem to be a puss filled hole so I hung it up and got the gralloch over, all things fine there. when I started to cut the what I though was a abcess i felt the knife touch something metal like, and there it was the good old 17HMR remains the problem is that this is the second one from that area 2 months ago I shot a Muntjac which had it's face blown off .that buck must off been in some pain there was so much puss ,poor thing what can I do. I might go and nock on some neighbouring farm doors a let them know what I have found ,it's probably a over ambitious rabbit shooter who doesn't give a f**k about what he is shooting at ? I will put some pitchers up

I think you will find its more than an over ambitious rabbit shooter more than likely the "P" word.

I came across an injured doe today, saw it sat close to the road as I stopped by a gateway, new it was odd, got out and walked across to it, got within 7 or 8 steps and it got up trying to run, it was missing the lower part of one rear leg from knee down, cant say for sure but its leg didnt look a fresh wound, not too stress it I left it and came back for another look, it was where I left it, in the face it looked ok,got close again and it got up and noticed it had a bald patch on its shoulder too, it must of been hit ny a vehicle, think if it didnt get through the hedge I could of rugby tackled to the ground, it didnt look to comfortable on that bald shoulder either, havent seem this doe with lower leg missing before, probaly got caught by the mower in a previous year, cant see the animal would of lost its rear leg being hit by a car, will go looking for it in a few days to see if its still alive, didnt want to shoot it if it may recover.

Last edited:
Nothing new pulled a few rimfire rounds out when skinning and quite a lot of number 6 shot on muntys too

The sods roam all over a bit of ground I have in Suffolk. Depending on where you are (Bury) keep an eye out for a blue Subaru Forester. Same as you though, I've shot a few deer now with wounds by dogs /rf's and one muntjac with a crossbow bolt head in its haunch.

Amazes me every time I see an animal 'behaving normal' to then reveal something when grolloched or skinned that obviously would have been painful

T

Probably best in these cases is report it to the police for the attention of the wildlife officer, it's more evidence of poaching in those areas

I took a Austrian client out last year on Muntjac, and he shot a lovely representative buck. Upon taking the cape to his taxidermist, they found a .22 air rifle pellet approx 1cm under the buck`s right eye - but which had healed without a mark....

Recently my wife and I have found 2 dead munty bucks in the woods where we walk our dogs, both with exploded eye balls on one side or the other of their head, and no other injuries - even car collisions looked unlikely as all limbs were intact with no skin damage etc.... All three deer were within 100 yards of a road...

Some people have such a disregard for deer it is beyond belief, and anybody that thinks a air rifle, even a FAC version, is acceptable to shoot deer with is just sick....

I took a Austrian client out last year on Muntjac, and he shot a lovely representative buck. Upon taking the cape to his taxidermist, they found a .22 air rifle pellet approx 1cm under the buck`s right eye - but which had healed without a mark....

Recently my wife and I have found 2 dead munty bucks in the woods where we walk our dogs, both with exploded eye balls on one side or the other of their head, and no other injuries - even car collisions looked unlikely as all limbs were intact with no skin damage etc.... All three deer were within 100 yards of a road...

Some people have such a disregard for deer it is beyond belief, and anybody that thinks a air rifle, even a FAC version, is acceptable to shoot deer with is just sick....
thats why i thought nocking on a few doors might help, its just as likely to be a guy who has the permission for the rabbits ,but thinks that nobodys to no if he take a muntie or a roe ,the way that that roe has been hit ,looks like he was going for a long range back of the head shot .Thats the Trouble with these HMR people think that they are more capable than what they are

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by bewsher500 Pikeys?
Police?
Paedos?
Paratroopers?
no wait......Politicians? aren't they to blame for everything?

I give up.

:rofl: Well done Ed, you forgot Priest's !!!!!!!!

No he didn't he covered them under paedos :stir:.

quote_icon.png
Police?
Paedos?
Paratroopers?

I give up.

:) :)

I've got a bronze medal fallow head, with a .22 bullet lodged in one of the pedicles. Didn't notice it until I'd skinned the head, prior to boiling it. It's been there for some time, as it had started to calcify over. Seems the problem isn't restricted to down south....

:rofl::rofl:
quote_icon.png
Police?
Paedos?
Paratroopers?

I give up.

That starts to make you wonder how many are killed .I cant see what anybody can hopes to achieve with a airgun ,punishment for that should be getting shot by a air gun to see how they like it bloody pr*cks they should band for hunting with the amount of suffering caused by air guns ,any one that has gone hunting with an air guns knows what I am talking about

Back