Sound moderators

PAULT

What is the lightest reflex moderator on the market it's for a 30-06 I've looked around but don't know the names of all of them quite fancy the hardy gen 4.

Simon Lawrence Aurora Precision does a titanium one - weight is about the 300 gramme mark from memory. They don't affect the balance of the rifle at all, and are just about indestructible. Not cheap though.....

Simon Lawrence Aurora Precision does a titanium one - weight is about the 300 gramme mark from memory. They don't affect the balance of the rifle at all, and are just about indestructible. Not cheap though.....
Third eye tactical will do one in titanium too.

+1, Zodiac on a .308 for me.
Cheers Aye

I have an AimSport AimZonic Cyclone Compact on my .243 and will be buying the same again with a .308 rifle as soon as funds allow. I wanted as much noise reduction as possible, but without weighing in too heavy. The Cyclone Compact weighs in at 395g and realises 27-31db reduction.

Last edited:
After much deliberation when buying a moderator for my .30-06 I settled on a Hardy, I have been very impressed and would not hesitate in recommending this sound moderator.

I have an AimSport AimZonic Cyclone Compact on my .243 and will be buying the same again with a .308 rifle as soon as funds allow. I wanted as much noise reduction as possible, but without weighing in too heavy. The Cyclone Compact weighs in at 395g and realises 27-31db reduction.

I see you say your buying one for the 308 as well. are you that pleased with them.

I did have a look at the shoot show and i did like the idea that you could add bits and take bits off to use on different rifles and threads. i was about to put a post up asking on peoples thoughts on them.

I have a pes at the moment and would love to hear the sound difference between the two.

+1 for the AimZonic. Very well made, light and efficient. Well worth a look.

My hearing is unfortunately badly damaged through too much unprotected shooting earlier in life. Even moderated and with Peltor ProTac Electronic ear defenders, it's still getting worse (it seems percussion alone is now enough to continue the degradation). Returning to small and full-bore shooting last year, I consequently sought the 'best' moderator available. In the absence of being able to directly compare side-by-side with other makes (the AimZonic sadly wasn't included in this test), I could but go by the performance on paper. On paper, the AimZonic advertised sound reduction is greater than its competitors, the over barrel design doesn't extend the rifle too much and the medium weight balances/handles extremely well on the end of my Sako A7. I plan to add a Sako 85 in Synthetic Black as soon as I can afford and unless I come across a mod that betters the weight/sound reduction/price balance of the AimZonic, it will again be my chosen option.

My hearing is unfortunately badly damaged through too much unprotected shooting earlier in life. Even moderated and with Peltor ProTac Electronic ear defenders, it's still getting worse (it seems percussion alone is now enough to continue the degradation). Returning to small and full-bore shooting last year, I consequently sought the 'best' moderator available. In the absence of being able to directly compare side-by-side with other makes (the AimZonic sadly wasn't included in this test), I could but go by the performance on paper. On paper, the AimZonic advertised sound reduction is greater than its competitors, the over barrel design doesn't extend the rifle too much and the medium weight balances/handles extremely well on the end of my Sako A7. I plan to add a Sako 85 in Synthetic Black as soon as I can afford and unless I come across a mod that betters the weight/sound reduction/price balance of the AimZonic, it will again be my chosen option.

i think that last sentence is key it's the balance of weight to moderation that's vital and to many of us price.

I have an AimZonic Cyclone Plus on my Sako 85 Synthetic Stainless .270, it does exactly what it says on paper.

Have a look at the Hausken range of moderators, everything from ultra lightweights to monster mods :D

Their new lightweight Jakt series gives very good decibel reduction for the size and weight, albeit with standard(non magnum)cartridges.

Here is a link to their website. http://hausken.no/

They now have a UK importer.

I am picking up my recently shortened Sako 17 Rem which has been threaded for a Hausken suppressor tonight, I will post pics later.

I tried a sonic 35 on my 204 it was only 305 grams but noise reduction wasnt to good, the first one went back with rattling baffles (it was all tightened properly) after 20 rounds. The shop replaced it with another due to it being faulty and after another 20 round the new one done the same so i wasnt very impressed. Tried the atec maxim weighing at 360 grams and its great the noise reduction was a lot better and after 40 or so rounds im very happy with it. you can also get spare baffles to make it up to 6 rather than 4 but so far i havent really found the need.

The Hardy look like a good mod with db reduction stated as ranging from 22-30 db depending on calibre and ammunition type, against 27-31db for the AimZonic Cyclone Compact. The Hardy is a lot lighter at 290g vs. 395g for the AimZonic and appears ~£14 cheaper. Has anyone tried side-by-side? On paper, I still err towards the greater sound reduction of the AimZonic.

Back